All my platy fry dying the same way except one??? Is it me? Or is it the circle of life??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Also, have you wormed the adults you're breeding from?

Many, I'd go so far as to say most livebearers - bought from fish stores have been mass produced in fish farms, and are carrying worm burdens. Adults can carry worms without showing many ill effects for a long time, but the fry they produce are then exposed to the worms (even if the fry are moved, since the worm eggs can be transferred by decor/hands/water) and the fry are much less able to handle the worm load, affecting their development and increasing the mortality rate.

I would worm all your tanks if you plan to keep breeding. The water quality was your main problem here, I'm sure, but I now worm any livebearers I bring in before they go near my main tanks. Once you've battled worms, you're much more cautious! :lol:

Also, have you wormed the adults you're breeding from?

Many, I'd go so far as to say most livebearers - bought from fish stores have been mass produced in fish farms, and are carrying worm burdens. Adults can carry worms without showing many ill effects for a long time, but the fry they produce are then exposed to the worms (even if the fry are moved, since the worm eggs can be transferred by decor/hands/water) and the fry are much less able to handle the worm load, affecting their development and increasing the mortality rate.

I would worm all your tanks if you plan to keep breeding. The water quality was your main problem here, I'm sure, but I now worm any livebearers I bring in before they go near my main tanks. Once you've battled worms, you're much more cautious! :lol:
I have not! I am about to lose my last fry, so I am thinking that might be the problem. I didn't ask for babies so if they survive I will be so happy! I will look more into worming my livebearers (I have all livebearers a part from one oto).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back