All my new fish died overnight in quarantine tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I agree with @AbbeysDad about plop and drop, shipped fish instead of drip acclimation. I have read about this before and it makes total sense, to get the fish out of the polluted bag of water as soon as possible. Only take the time that time that is needed to acclimate the fish in the bag to the water temp and then get them out of the bag.

My method is not drrp acclimation. It just gets fish adjusted to tank params a little and reduces shock. It was how the breeders instructed me to do and I’ve never lost a fish using this method. I guess each has to go by what they feel is best.

My method is not drrp acclimation. It just gets fish adjusted to tank params a little and reduces shock. It was how the breeders instructed me to do and I’ve never lost a fish using this method. I guess each has to go by what they feel is best.
Is or is not DA?

Never put the water fish are shipped in into your tank. Always pour through a net and place the fish in the tank. Just worry about temperature nothing else.

@WiccaFish , sorry for your losses. That is no fun. Redline sharks/dennison barbs are really cool fish, and I hope you get to have some again.

Never, ever drip acclimate, ESPECIALLY for shipped fish. As mentioned, for shipped fish, the water becomes acidic and the ammonia is converted to relatively harmless ammonium. Opening the bag and drip acclimating, the ammonium converts back to TOXIC ammonia. Besides, it takes fish days or even weeks for fish to acclimate to a different water chemistry so in spite of the lore, there's no real benefit to drip acclimation.
---
What you should always do is float the bag to equalize the temperature, then 'plop 'n drop' by pouring the bag through a net and transfer the fish to your quarantine tank (never dump the water the water that came with the fish in your tank!) :)
I've long been inclined toward drip acclimation, or the "pour a little water in at a time" method that @SeaAngel uses, because it just makes sense to gradually accustom them to the new water.

However, what you say here about ammonia/ammonium makes a lot of sense; I think you've convinced me. I usually order from TWS, who puts some sort of ammonia-neutralizing, "compressed oxygen and filter cubes" in their bags. Anybody have any idea what that is and what it does?

I usually order from TWS, who puts some sort of ammonia-neutralizing, "compressed oxygen and filter cubes" in their bags. Anybody have any idea what that is and what it does?
It could be something like Poly-Filter, a product that absorbs and adsorbs impurities from the water. (I have heard of some shippers that use a small square as an added assurance. When I bag fish for auctions, I add a bit of Seachem Safe to neutralize any ammonia).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'll be getting a new batch this Saturday ?.
Imperial said I should do the drip method and that's what they've always recommended. We came to the conclusion the temp in the bag was just too cold. Hopefully they will add several heat packs to the box ?

And they do put the little cubes in. They said it's to absorb any waste during shipping.

Good luck--hope these work out better.

TWS, my go-to mail order place, strongly recommends drip acclimation, too. Both methods make sense to me. I suspect it's one of those things where you pay your money and you take your chances. I think I'm going to start doing plop and drop, if nothing else because it fits my attention span better, but I won't judge people who do the drippy thing. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back