FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Chloem07

Reaction score
Hiya,

im new to the tropical fish life, i currently have a fresh water tank- although im changing to tropical shortly.

I have a 100 L tank- what would the best filter be for a 100L tropical tank? Ive been looking at “FLUVAL U4 internal filter” - has anyone got this or have any feedback?
Any other opinions are welcome- im new to this and every little helps ;) thank you <3

Welcome to the forum! A U4 should work fine for a 100l. I've never used this one, but the reviews look good.

Any idea what you want to do with this tank, or are you a blank slate? I would advise you to read up on cycling (lots of info on this forum) and water hardness. You'll find a lot of help here.

Edit: Slap beat me to it!

Welcome to TFF! :hi:

A U4 might be over kill for a 100L tank, I would go with a U3.

Also, if you're doing a planted tank, read up on silent cycling. This is what I usually do, because I don't have the attention span for fishless cycling...
I was thinking to have a mix of real and some fake plants just to add some background colour... but not sure on with type of real plants yet

I was thinking to have a mix of real and some fake plants just to add some background colour... but not sure on with type of real plants yet
Anacharis, Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, frogbit, and salvinia are all easy-to-grow beginner plants.

Anacharis, Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, frogbit, and salvinia are all easy-to-grow beginner plants.
Thank you! Are the sold in normal pet shops or garden centres? That where i usually go for plants?
can i order live plants online?

Thank you! Are the sold in normal pet shops or garden centres? That where i usually go for plants?
can i order live plants online?
Anubias, Anacharis, and Java Fern are usually sold in most commercial pet stores. You may have to look online for salvinia, java moss, and frogbit. :)

In the UK, I find that most fish shops sell only 'bread and butter' plants. You find things like amazon swords, elodea (what Phoenix called anacharis) and the odd species of anubias. If you are lucky, otherwise it's often just elodea.

There are a lot more plants available from on-line shops. I have shrimps and nerite snails so I have to be careful where I buy as I need shrimp safe plants. If you don't intend shrimps or the kind of snails you have to buy, then Ebay or somewhere like Aqua Essentials. There are probably a lot more plant shops, but I don't use them if they don't state shrimp safe.

In the UK, I find that most fish shops sell only 'bread and butter' plants. You find things like amazon swords, elodea (what Phoenix called anacharis) and the odd species of anubias. If you are lucky, otherwise it's often just elodea.

There are a lot more plants available from on-line shops. I have shrimps and nerite snails so I have to be careful where I buy as I need shrimp safe plants. If you don't intend shrimps or the kind of snails you have to buy, then Ebay or somewhere like Aqua Essentials. There are probably a lot more plant shops, but I don't use them if they don't state shrimp safe.
Does having shrimps in your tank make a difference? Ive been debating whether to get shrimps or not x

I had no idea there were ANY plants that weren't shrimp-safe (?).
Besides carnivorous ones, of course...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back