algea eating fish that are small recommendations please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

Hope you are all well, as per subject line, looking for small and ideally stay small algea eating fish for small aquarium thanks.

Algae clean up will depend on the owner. I have not found any algae eater that’s does a good job. IME, Japanese trap door snails do a better job than my plecos or other snails. Good luck!

Bushels nose plecos only grow up to 4 inches. But it all depends on your water parameters, and tank size. :)

Agree, we need to know more here. Tank size, and do you have an algae issue now, or is this just preventative?

I can offer a few general observations while we're waiting. First, considering all the species of fish that may/will actually eat algae, none of them will eat all species/types of algae. Most are specialized. And many get large, meaning 5-6 inches (12-15 cm) and up and some have specific requirements respecting numbers (shoaling species need a group) and some have sometimes rough dispositions.

This is why we need to know the "algae" you are after. If just generally, that is one thing, but if you have or are worried about a specific "problem" algae like black brush/beard, that is a very different issue. Generally speaking, no fish should ever be acquired solely to deal with any issue/problem such as algae; all things considered, they are usually more trouble than benefit. But if you have a species that you actually like and want as a fish, and it happens to benefit in another way like eating some types of algae, that's OK. Though sometimes such fish have specialized diets and that has to be considered long-term.

Nerite snail's work best, much better job than my oto's and pleco..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ive bought 50 ramshorn snails but then i also saw you can use daphnia, is it unrealistic to buy a litre of that and throw that in and expect clear water?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back