Algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sam ary

Reaction score
Hi my tank has an algae eater a pleco 5 cherry shrimp and 4 female guppies and a dozen or so fry!!! Started out having algae grow super fast on the glass and gravel, well now it changed to no algae on the gravel and I still have to do a weekly scrub on the glass but now the water seems to be clouded with the algae to where you cant see through the tank!!! Oh and its an under gravel filter system with a power head hooked up to it. I tried to send a photo with this but I don't know how to change the resolution on my phones camera I forgot I got 2 gold asian clams also

Hi my tank has an algae eater a pleco 5 cherry shrimp and 4 female guppies and a dozen or so fry!!! Started out having algae grow super fast on the glass and gravel, well now it changed to no algae on the gravel and I still have to do a weekly scrub on the glass but now the water seems to be clouded with the algae to where you cant see through the tank!!! Oh and its an under gravel filter system with a power head hooked up to it. I tried to send a photo with this but I don't know how to change the resolution on my phones camera I forgot I got 2 gold asian clams also
What are your water parameters
This could be a bacterial bloom
Or it could just be the algae in the water I would say do some water changes and then keep us updated

What are your water parameters
This could be a bacterial bloom
Or it could just be the algae in the water I would say do some water changes and then keep us updated
Figured out the camera here you go!!

Attachments

• 20190812_174741.jpg
    20190812_174741.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 160
Things have really gotten out of control for you here huh?

I can see from the picture that your problem is just simply too much light. Your tank is being exposed to far too much natural sunlight from those 2 windows next to the tank. Some light blocking curtains would help out substantially.

How often do you leave your tank light on?

It's just an algae bloom. It's caused by too much light, or too many nutrients, or not enough live plants to use the light and nutrients.

Reduce light, or add lots of live plants to use the excess light. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is a floating plant that can also grow in the gravel. It loves nutrients and light and will clear the problem up pretty quickly.

If you don't have a picture on the back of the tank, add one. You can buy pictures/ backings from any pet shop and stick them on the outside of the tank. They will reduce the light coming through a window behind the tank. You can also use coloured card or a plastic bin liner. Try to use a dark colour to show the fish off better.

Try doing a75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for a couple of weeks.

definitely reduce your light, black your tank out for 48 hrs, and a massive water change(75%) and the next 2 after that I would do 50% changes. and plants god yes live plants are they way to grow

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back