Algae

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

electropunk06

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My 60 liter tank has been set up with fish in for about 2 months i have 6 leopard danios, 2 dwarf gourami and 3 guppies, but lots of brownish algae has started to appear it took about a week to get quite bad. Is there any way to stop this? thanks.

How long do you keep the light on in your tank? Is it sitting in direct sunlight?

Try and aim to keep the light on your tank being on for just 6 hours per day. If it becomes a big problem, then you an do a 'black out' where you just turn your lights off and leave them off for a good week. The algae should die as they rely on your light to survive.

How long do you keep the light on in your tank? Is it sitting in direct sunlight?

Try and aim to keep the light on your tank being on for just 6 hours per day. If it becomes a big problem, then you an do a 'black out' where you just turn your lights off and leave them off for a good week. The algae should die as they rely on your light to survive.

That could be it i have them on from 7am until 10pm. The tank isn"t in direct sunlight. What are the best algae eating fish? Thanks.

For a 60ltr, most catfish are out of the question and corys aren't good algae . However, saying that, you could go for Dwarf suckermouth catfish / Dwarf Pleco / snails / shrimp. The 2 catfish mentioned will grow to 4cm (2") and would be ideal for your tank.

Common in new tanks.
You are experiencing brown diatomic algae. It's triggered by ammonia in combination with light, nothing to do with Nitrates or Phosphates. This ammonia can be in such small concentrations that it will register as "0" on a test kit. It's not enough to kill fish or shrimp, but it is enough to trigger algae. Ofcourse, ammonia that does register will certainly cause the algae too.
Reduce any direct light. Limit the light duration to 7 or 8 hours. Limit the ammonia in the tank via water changes. Do not overfeed.

Common in new tanks.
You are experiencing brown diatomic algae. It's triggered by ammonia in combination with light, nothing to do with Nitrates or Phosphates. This ammonia can be in such small concentrations that it will register as "0" on a test kit. It's not enough to kill fish or shrimp, but it is enough to trigger algae. Ofcourse, ammonia that does register will certainly cause the algae too.
Reduce any direct light. Limit the light duration to 7 or 8 hours. Limit the ammonia in the tank via water changes. Do not overfeed.
ok cheers will keep an eye on the amonia, thanks

My 60 liter tank has been set up with fish in for about 2 months i have 6 leopard danios, 2 dwarf gourami and 3 guppies, but lots of brownish algae has started to appear it took about a week to get quite bad. Is there any way to stop this? thanks.

i have 5 leopard danios in my tank and a few others but look at my vid of the siamese algea eater at work, you should get one his great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHJTooSfL-w

i have 5 leopard danios in my tank and a few others but look at my vid of the siamese algea eater at work, you should get one his great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHJTooSfL-w
wow he looks very good at his job ha. i will keep an eye out for one of them!

That could be it i have them on from 7am until 10pm. The tank isn"t in direct sunlight. What are the best algae eating fish? Thanks.
Wow, that's 15 hours of light! I agree with Radar, limit your light to 7 or 8 hours or such. Many planted tanks are initially started on 4 hours of light and then the hours are only increased if there are no algae breakouts. If you break your light periods into two periods with a lamp timer then be sure not to make either period shorter than 4 hours. Increased water changes will also help in multiple ways.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back