algae removal issue

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CosmicCow09

Reaction score
i have blackbeard in my tank. my light seems to make a lot of algae, either way it was basically algae on top of algae on top of plants rocks and decor. i tryed using hydrogen peroxide on a couple parts as i saw it online, it bubbled for a long while, not the blackbeard is green.... im so confused. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

When I first had algae I cleaned the tank and got a few otos. That seemed to do the trick. You can get some algae fix or do some research to see what algae removers are safe.

Plants are mentioned, so this puts us in a specific course to deal with BBA. In a planted tank the cause of problem algae is an imbalance of the light/nutrients. We need to provide the light intensity and duration in balance with the necessary 17 nutrients for the plants; this thwarts algae, and is the only effective and safe method. Algae-eating fish will not eat BBA (there are two species that will, but both have specific needs and issues making them unsuited to most tanks, and certainly any under 4-5 feet in length). Otos, Bristlenose plecos, Farlowella, etc will not eat BBA.

Never use any chemical treatment; I know there are those who say it is safe, but it is not safe. Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidizer that has been used under field conditions to control I. multifiliis. High doses can cause gill damage leading to fish mortality (especially at high temperatures) (Schmidt et al. 2006; Noga, 2010; Picon-Camcho et al. 2011). Correct the cause rather than risking the biological system.

Data on the light and any plant additives/fertilizers will help us work this out. I should mention that in my 30 or so years in the hobby, this is the only problem algae I have had to battle (and more than once), and once I understood the cause, it disappeared and has been absent for six years now.

Okay sorry for the slow response but here’s the data, I have the top fin 20 gallon kit with like a standard led that it came with, not sure where to find info on that I will try after this but light time wise I will attach a pic of the timer as-well as the fertilizer. Please excuse my blisters I did my best to keep them out of frame

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 48
Plants are mentioned, so this puts us in a specific course to deal with BBA. In a planted tank the cause of problem algae is an imbalance of the light/nutrients. We need to provide the light intensity and duration in balance with the necessary 17 nutrients for the plants; this thwarts algae, and is the only effective and safe method. Algae-eating fish will not eat BBA (there are two species that will, but both have specific needs and issues making them unsuited to most tanks, and certainly any under 4-5 feet in length). Otos, Bristlenose plecos, Farlowella, etc will not eat BBA.

Never use any chemical treatment; I know there are those who say it is safe, but it is not safe. Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidizer that has been used under field conditions to control I. multifiliis. High doses can cause gill damage leading to fish mortality (especially at high temperatures) (Schmidt et al. 2006; Noga, 2010; Picon-Camcho et al. 2011). Correct the cause rather than risking the biological system.

Data on the light and any plant additives/fertilizers will help us work this out. I should mention that in my 30 or so years in the hobby, this is the only problem algae I have had to battle (and more than once), and once I understood the cause, it disappeared and has been absent for six years now.
Also I really appreciate the detailed response, thank you

The fertilizer seems fairly good, just be careful not to overdose. Use less and monitor the plant's response over a couple weeks.

For the light, you might find some data on the manufacturer's website.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back