Algae Removal in pond.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Try to manually harvest/ remove as much as possible and put it on the garden as a mulch. Then add plants to the pond and it should get better. When the floating plants spread you should remove some of them on a regular basis and put them on the garden too. That way the nutrients that were taken out of the water by the floating plants, will be removed from the pond, thus limiting the nutrients available to the algae.
Ok, I’ll try that, thanks. :)

Is it a large pond that is separate from any creeks or rivers?
Or is it close to a river so when it rains, the water might overflow form the pond into the river?
A small creek flows into it from the far side.

If you add floating plants and they take over then any other plants in the pond will suffer and very possibly die off from lack of light.
There are no other plants in the lake due to my knowledge.

Most of the people I know with ponds have lily pads and several raise koi. My friend that has perch, bass and blue gill does not becasue he likes to watch his fish but he is also the one that has to put on the waders and use a rack to clear the algae.

Most of the people I know with ponds have lily pads and several raise koi. My friend that has perch, bass and blue gill does not becasue he likes to watch his fish but he is also the one that has to put on the waders and use a rack to clear the algae.
So he would be clearing duckweed instead. Not sure if that would be easier.

Duckweed is a lot easier to remove than filamentous algae growing on everything. Just use a swimming pool net to scoop it off the surface.

Put in water lilies. First of all, they will use up the nutrients that the algae would use. Secondly, they would shade the algae which needs sun. Third, your fish will use them for cover.

@PheonixKingZ fish do feel pain....

Toss some ramshorn snails in there. They may breed like crazy but it's just more food for the fish

@PheonixKingZ fish do feel pain....

Toss some ramshorn snails in there. They may breed like crazy but it's just more food for the fish
Recent study’s show that they don’t feel pain, because they don’t have the brain capacity to function it.

If I put snails in there, they will over take the pond and destroy the ecosystem. :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back