Algae problems! Losing the fight 😢

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DGJ

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Im struggling for the past 3-4 weeks with algae on the tank walls, wood and plants.

move tried limiting the light but it’s a balancing act as the plants started getting white tips.

I have 2 x Siamese algae eaters in the tank, should I add more?

im doing 2 x 50% water changes a week as well

is there anything else I can do

Attachments

• 30B71061-037A-425A-84B0-A358EC6A0E4A.jpeg
    30B71061-037A-425A-84B0-A358EC6A0E4A.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 52
That doesn't look too bad. Algae is part of the hobby; most of us make peace with it sooner or later. :) Get a test kit and make sure your water parameters are good (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate <20 ppm), and get in the habit of scraping algae off the walls once a week or so.

If it's causing problems other than aesthetics, amano shrimp will help keep it under control, and turning the lights off for a couple hours in the middle of the day can help your plants keep the upper hand. But forget about getting rid of it entirely. It's part of the ecosystem, and a little bit is actually good for the fish.

Edit: OK, I just looked at your picture more closely, and I see the problem. Do you have a test kit? Check your ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. What kind of light do you have and what kind of schedule is it on? Let's start there.

Is the tank near a window?...appears to be, in the photo...if so, algae may be hard to combat

Agree with above comments. Will add that along with cleaning the glass walls (Mr. Clean original magic eraser does a fantastic job, and an old credit card works on stubborn spots) I would try to remove the algae off the plants with tongs or a (new) cheap toothbrush or snip off the worst leaves. I would follow with a 3-5 day blackout; keep the light off and cover the tank with a dark towel/breathable cloth. If you have some decor that is badly infested you can pull it out and apply H2O2; hydrogen peroxide, to it using a bath or directly with a syringe or bottle with a nozzle on it. Cover it with a damp cloth or paper towel and let it sit for 15 minutes then use a cheap toothbrush to scrub off the (should be dead) algae and rinse well. You can also inject some peroxide in the tank directing to some plants, but it can also affect some plants.

As mentioned by Slaphppy7; if the tank is near a window the extra sunlight could be fueling the problem. You could move the tank, paint the back black or blue, or put a dark film on the back to block out the extra sunlight.

I agree there is an imbalance of light/nutrients. The data requested will help members sort it out.

Post #4 mentions a window and that is a good point. I found that the additional intensity and length of daylight in the summer months even with blinds closed was sufficient to upset the light/nutrient balance. A background on this tank would help, something simple and dark (garish pictures do not improve an aquarium in my view), I use plain black construction paper taped to the outside of the back wall. You could use this on one or both side walls if needed (depends upon how you can or cannot control the window light).

I don't agree with any form of "treatment" for the algae now present. Without rectifying the cause, it will only return, and any substances entering the tank intended to somehow kill or impede algae are going to be detrimental to the system and the fish. The aim is to solve the cause, so the algae does not increase.

You asked about Siamese Algae Eaters...they will not eat many species of algae. Like all such fish, they have specific types of algae they might eat (if at all), but they are adding significantly to the biological system which is the cause of the algae to begin with.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back