Algae Problem

Dragonslair

Dragon.
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Like some of you out there I've hit an algae problem, and conventional algaecides won't touch it. Has anyone else encountered this algae. I'll try and describe it. It inhabits rocks and small stones, but not the substrate gravel,it carpets everything like fur fabric. It's very dark in colour, almost black. It attaches itself to the leaves of my amazons, but only the egdes,not the broad part of the leaf. It seems quite invasive. The only good point to it,is that it provides shelter for the fry in the tank. It's that thick on the rocks!
Can anyone please I.D. this algae. have you had it in your tank? What do you do to get rid of it? The water parameters are all within acceptable tolerences. There are the few odd phosphate spikes, but in general all's well. All the fishes are happy, even though the tank may be a little overloaded. I have an 02zone unit and this makes the water bug free. so has anyone encountered this problem?

Dragon,
Sounds like a possible outbreak of brown algae. If so here is something I found on it from the web

Other Names: Gravel algae, Silica algae

Color: Brown

Appearance: Begins as brown patches on the gravel and/or glass, then rapidly coats most surfaces of the aquarium with a thin, dark brown coating that is easily removed. Unlike blue-green/slime algae, it does not come off in large slimy sheets

Cause
° Diatoms
° Excess silicates & nitrates
° Inadequate light
° Low oxygen levels

Brown algae is due to diatoms, and is a common occurrence in a newly set up aquarium. It is generally caused by too little light, an excess of silicates, an abundance of nutrients, and too little oxygen. Silicates can build up through tap water that is high in silicic acid, and silicates that leech from some types of substrates.
Cure
° Wipe off surfaces & vaccine gravel well
° Use silicate adsorbing resin in the filter
° Increase the lighting
° Stock a plecostomus or several otocinclus

This type of algae does not adhere strongly to the tank surfaces, and may easily be wiped away. Vacuuming the gravel with a siphon will quickly remove coatings from the substrate. Increasing the lighting will inhibit regrowth of brown algae. As a new tank matures brown algae is often eliminated naturally by plants and green algae competing for nutrients.

Some suckermouth catfish will readily eat brown algae, most notably plecostomus and otocinclus. If the problem is due to high silicates in the water, and the brown algae persists, a special silicate absorbing resin can be used in the filter.

Prevention
° Use of RO water
° Regular water changes
° Regular aquarium cleaning
° Good lighting

As with any algae, keeping the tank clean and performing regular water changes is one of the best preventative measures. Unfortunately it is still possible to get algae in spite of regular maintenance, especially in a newly established aquarium. Prompt attention to sudden algae growth will prevent more serious problems.

HTH

Les

Sounds more like beard (I believe also hair/thread) or brush algae, both members of the 'red' algae family, and both difficult to control. :/
Hair algae: remove the threads by winding around a stick and pulling them off. Brush algae: said to be more difficult. The shoots are very short, so can't use the previous method. Rarely seen on young plants, usu. brought in by new additions of older plants. Break off affected leaves.

I recently brought up Rose's preferred article on algae control under 'Fast algae'. ;)

k, looks like hair algae is normally green. And the beard/brush/hair/thread I may have mixed up...not sure which terms are interchangeable...sry :blush:....I think it's thread/hair and beard/brush....convinced I know absolutely nothing?! :lol: :S

Anyway, take a look at this, esp. the bit on red algae (includes pic).

hth ;)

I would think if u have algae, you have enough lighting?? :huh:
If ur thinking it's brown algae,I've had brown algae (well, not the kind in a new tank), and it's not hairy....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back