Algae overtaking filter!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FlareBettaGuy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've lately been having some algae-like stuff growing in my gravel, on the glass, in the filter, and on the plant's leaves. It's also ripping apart the filter sponge. It's all brown now, with a stinky smell and looks ripped up. I've asked about this already, and was told that it was brown algae, aka diatoms. The future resident of this two gallon tank will be a betta, so I have no need for beneficial bacteria. So I will just wash the whole tank and everything in hot water. The filter may be a problem though. The brown algae is everywhere. In every corner, every side. There are some places where I can't reach. It's a really small filter, those kinds for small tanks like mine. Will letting the filter run in hot water work? Will it damage the filter? Will it get rid of the algae? How long should I keep it running in the hot water for? Thanks! And Merry Day-After-Christmas!! :kana:

No, i'm going only betta for now. I have a cory, but he's dying. Right now, I only have one cory and one guppy in that tank. I used to have three guppies and two cories. But most of them died. I really can't handle more than one fish for now. And bettas are much more easier to care for and convinient to transport. Does not need very clean water or a lot of oxygen like Otos do, either. I already tried putting bettas in with other fish, but it didn't exactly work out, if you know what I mean. :X And getting each type of fish food and making sure only the right type of fish eats the right type of food is a pain. Now answer my questions. Is the hot water safe for the filter? Will it work? How long do I keep it running like that for? Thanks!

cleaning it with hot water will be fine

I get brown algae too :/ , I really can't do anything about it though. Algae comes from high nitrates...my tap water comes out at 40 so no matter what I do I'll always have to scrub brown algae

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back