Algae outbreak

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nyte

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
About 2 months ago I got real plants. I have a good mix, some fast growing some not and some need high light while some do not.

They are in a 29 gallon tank and I have about 2.5 wpg. The bulbs I have are a CoralLife day light spectrum, a triton, and a crappy light I bought at a hardware store called Gro N Sho.

Is there such a thing as TOO much light? Algae is growing like crazy! I was told that stuffing the tank full of fast growing plants would out compete with the algae but I guess not. The plants are doing *ok* so far but the algae is starting to kill them. I have 3 algae eaters in there (SAE's) and they don't seem to be doing the trick.

What else can I do?

I've also read that CO2 injection will help with the algae. If this is so, can someone reccommend something cheap that will do this (I'm NOT a DIYer so I need something I can buy lol)

Water readings are 0 ammonia and nitrite, about 30 ppm nitrate.

Thanks!

Your nitrates seem a tad high for a planted tank. Usually 20ppm is the norm. It might be the cause of your algae.

Just a few questions to clarify. :)

1. What kind of algae is it? What colour, texture, does it give your tank a certain smell?
2. How long are your lights on?
3. How heavily planted is your tank and what fast growing plants do you have?
4. Checked your tap water parameters.

It might be a case of too much light. Usually 10 hours with a break of 2-3 hours in the middle helps keep some types of algae at bay. Using a timer for your lights helps with this.

As for CO2, the Nutrafin Hagen Natural CO2 System is a good option. It's not too pricey and I've found it to be very effective.

HTH,

~Nisha :)

Hi Nisha :) Thanks for your reply! I'll answer your questions below.

1. What kind of algae is it? What colour, texture, does it give your tank a certain smell?

The algae is green, doesn't really have a texture just flat on the glass and plants. No funky smells.

2. How long are your lights on?

10-12 hours. I am going to try to cut back to 10 strictly. :)

3. How heavily planted is your tank and what fast growing plants do you have?

1 hortwort (which I regret having now lol messy thing but the babies like it so meh!),
1 sword (not sure of the kind on the tropica plant tag it said medium growth)
1 Alternanthera reineckii ''roseafolia'' ('Pink')
1 Cardamine lyrata (tag says fast growth)
1 Cryptocoryne undulata ''broad leaves''
1 unknown tiny crypt
1 Hydrocotyle leucocephala (tag says fast growth)
1 Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' (tag says fast growth)
2 small foreground plants that grow "very slow".

4. Checked your tap water parameters.

I have not yet I know that our tap water has loads of calcium in it and in the summer smells quite algaeish lol. I will post results in a few mins. Going to test right after I press submit. I suspect the readings will be quite high.

As a side note, I just got done about 2 weeks ago medicating for parasites so I think that's why the nitrate is a tad high. I think I killed alot of good bacteria.

Oh and I picked up that Hagen C02 thing. Easy set up, still waiting for bubbles :)

Ok just tested. Here's the results... this is the first time I ever tested for ph, gh and kh... and it's REALLY bad!

Tank water readings:
Nitrate was lower at 10-15 ppm, good sign :)
GH - 240!! ppm
KH - 160 ppm
ph - between 7.5 and 8!

WOW! I knew my water was hard because we constantly have calicum stains on the water fixtures and tank filter.

Geez, this can't be good! How do I lower these readings safely? I'm concerned for my poor fishies now! Although, I've never really had a problem keeping them alive...

Edited to add tap water readings
Nitrate around 5 ppm
PH about 7.5
I didn't bother with GH and KH because I know they are sky high from the tap water.

I'm so confused. Why would the ph be higher in the tank?

Algae can also be caused by high nitrates and phosphates. I would suggest you cut down your lighting, clean your tank to remove as much algae as possible, do more water changes and NOT start the CO2 for the moment.

PS: This should help your tank to settle down.

What kind of substrate do you have? Do you feed any fertiliser to your plants?

Hi Dubby,

I don't fertalize currently. I have some on hand just in case my plants start looking bad.

The tank has regular natural colored gravel.

How come I shouldn't start the C02 yet?

I would say the primary cause of your algae is far too much light and not enough other growth factors to keep things balanced, mainly CO2. In your size tank (if it's a regular shape) you should be injecting CO2 with light levels over 2 WPG, possibly 1.5 WPG in my experience.

I've written a practical guide to algae treatment in another post a while back.

Hope this helps.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=60010

Nyte said:
Hi Dubby,

I don't fertalize currently. I have some on hand just in case my plants start looking bad.

The tank has regular natural colored gravel.

How come I shouldn't start the C02 yet?
My reasoning was that the CO2 would help both plants & algae. And since the plants are not getting enough nutrients, the algae would get the upper hand.

I would recommend you weaken the algae first by reducing lighting, lots of water changes, clean up and then give the plants a kick start by adding CO2 & fertiliser.

ive just had algae take over my tank too, and it killed most of my plants. i went to my lfs and asked them what to do and the gave me some algae blocks, and my tank is free from algae after a month

Thanks for your help everyone it's much appreciated. Live plants are fairly new to me and I feel sometimes like I opened "pandora's box".

I did start my C02 going. After I cleaned as much algae as I could out of the tank and a water change and gravel vac.

Not sure if this was the right thing to do, but I went out and bought 2 more fast growing plants. My thought was hopefully they will help out compete the algae. The guy at the lfs said they were getting plants in that are essentially algae balls and he mentioned that they would help with my problem as well. Not sure how that'll work out, but I'm going to go see them tomorrow anyways just to see what the heck an algae ball is!

I will read that article. Thanks for the link :)

The lfs also gave me something (forget the name now) for my filter that is supposed to help. Usually more algae is visible daily and it's been two days or so since obvious algae growth. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of my algae issue. Doubt it lol but it's good to be hopeful.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back