Algae or powder carbon from filter?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Scarab

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 2.5 gallon minibow and noticed last week that my boy Solomon was just not himself. I took a closer look and saw a bunch of fine dark colored (black maybe) powder on everything...the gravel and the plastic plants (there's real hornwart in there also).

I attempted to use the gravel vac but it just made everything way worse....the powder got unsettled and just filled/floated throughout the water! I did a water change and got most of it out of there. My first two thoughts were: 1) looks like carbon powder...did it come through the filter media into the water? and 2) I must not have done a good job my first time with the gravel vac the week before (my first 'larger' tank and first time using the vac...after reading others' posts I know now I didn't get the vac all down in the gravel enough and do an adequate job).

I noticed yesterday there's more of the powder on one of my plastic plants again. Just a wee bit.

My question to all you plant experts: do you think this is from the carbon in the filter (Whisper--junior cartridge) and/or some other debris/dirt? or is it some kind of algae? I'm totally clueless on algae so I don't know if it does or can appear in some sort of powder looking form. The tank isn't in direct sunlight (but is in the living room with the sliding glass patio doors...so indirect light during the day while I'm at work), but does have a 15w bulb (came with the Minibow) that I don't usually turn on until I get home from work in the evening. And as I mentioned above...real hornwart.

I'd appreciate any help you could provide. Thanks!

Well Scarab, doesn't sound like any Algae I've heard of... That doesn't mean that it's not possible !

However, I think you are right ,and it is from your Carbon, I guess you have checked the housing to the filter and/or bag containing the AFC (Activated Filter Carbon)... Did you reciently renew your AFC? Generally, new AFC generates a little 'dust' and can be cleaned in the manner you have already stated.

D.

Thanks odjbo,

I'd had my boys in small unfiltered 1/2 gallons for a couple of months and bought my first 2.5 gallon Minibow a few weeks back to put Solomon in (just started fishkeeping this past July). I set it up and realized I omitted one thing: the directions with the filter cartridge had said to rinse it off first before inserting it into the housing, etc. I didn't figure it would be a big deal....until my above mentioned powder problem happened. When I did the water change to clear it up, I rinsed the cartridge too.

Now when I set up the second 2.5, I did rinse off the cartridge first ...and so far have not had the same powder problem with it.

Thanks for confirming what I thought it was. I just have to make sure I do a good job with the vac from now on as well.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back