Algae On Filter Housing

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

highfire

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just a quick question regarding the dreaded algae. I don't have a very big problem with it in my tank, I keep the glass clean on a regular basis, but the housing on my two filters is starting to look as though it needs a good clean. The problem I have is with my Fluval Biolife filter, that is currently attached to the back of my tank. I simply can't get the thing off, and the only way I could clean it would mean emptying the tank by about two thirds, and also having the filter switched off for a long time while I scrub at it.

Can anyone advise on an easier and more effective way to remove this algae? Or looking at it another way - should I leave it alone, given that my tank is stable, water stats are fine and the glass itself is clean?

Thanks!

Algae is fine and can be a sign of a healthy tank. So if nothing is wrong with the water and you don't mind it, leave it alone. Less light and feeding the fish as well as good tank maintanence can also help reduce or remove it naturally.

Thanks for that reassuance, Teelie. I was pretty sure the small amount of algae I have wouldn't be a problem, but I just wanted to hear it from someone else.
Thanks again!

If you hate the look as much as I do - can you fit a toothbrush in that space? Or even those skinny wire scrub brushes (careful if you have an acrylic tank). Plus if you are doing water changes - why not clean it when you're already removing a lot of water? No huge hurry in having the filter off-line - you're talking about an hour or two not hours or days.

First, algae often gets a bad rap. Like plants, algae uses nutrients (aka pollution) to grow so it also helps purify the water. It's also very natural and It's a supplemental food source for many fish and inverts.
------
Now of course we don't want it on viewing panes of glass, and in some places it just looks bad. But in other places it looks fine and is beneficial. I have a black poster board background on my 60g and spots of algae just look bad. So I glued a single edge razor blade to a stick to make short work of it as needed during water changes. Otherwise, like snails, algae is your friend.
------
Footnote: nothing reduces algae in a tank like plants since plants will use the nutrients that algae requires to flourish. Now many hobbyists just don't have lighting (or resources to purchase lighting) that would support a planted tank. However, fast growing floating plants will flourish under nearly all aquarium lights...improving the quality of the water. I have water sprite and duckweed in all my tanks.

If you hate the look as much as I do - can you fit a toothbrush in that space? Or even those skinny wire scrub brushes (careful if you have an acrylic tank). Plus if you are doing water changes - why not clean it when you're already removing a lot of water? No huge hurry in having the filter off-line - you're talking about an hour or two not hours or days.
Gang, this post is 13 years old. If you wish to carry on this topic, please start a new post.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back