Algae Magnet Or Scrapper

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DreS

Reaction score
hi, sorry for the silly question but would i be better getting a algae magnet or a algae scrapper? or both? can any1 remommend any for me to look at (cheap but good at doing the job would be best).

i have a mag-float, it was very good at removing algae, but these days i very rarely have to use it at all, i have frank the pleco who does it now

thanks dude. like the look of those mag floats so will grab 1 off ebay. yeah can't wait to be able to get a plec or diff fishy that will love to munch on algae.

I use both, magnet for the front and sides, and long handled scrapper for the back.

Keith.

I have a washing up sponge (new and only used for the fish of course! :lol: ) - one of those with the scourer for non stick pans on one side and the sponge on the other. When I do my water change before I fill back up I just rub the scourer side over the glass for a crystal clear finnish - its effective and cheap as chips!

I have a magnetic floatey algea removing jobbie. It great. Its quite fun when the inside bit drifts off & you have to "attract" it back to the outside bit.

I use the type of sponge media that feels a little scratchy and tough to the touch. I recently had to replace my old one and found that a couple of fluval media sponges that were fairly large and white allowed me to get quite a few smaller sponges by cutting up the big ones. I like greater texture feedback I get by having my fingers right there where I'm scrubbing. I scrub down all the interior glass surfaces just prior to siphoning out the water during the water change.

Long stick cleaners and magnetic cleaners are fine, I used to use these and still plan to use them in some situations, but just haven't picked up any new ones. I recently won (!) a magnetic cleaner that cleans out the insides of filter hoses at a conference but I haven't tried it yet.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back