Algae Infestation

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

qwertylol52

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi guys...i was away for 1 week on holiday and i left de keys to a friend to care for my aquarium..he was a former aquarist but de first day i was away, he got real sick and is still sick now and is nable to care for my tank..as a result my whole tank is infested with algae..i mean WHOLE TANK...my fishes got food cos of de auto diespenser i bought but de whle tank is filled with algae..i cleared away all my plants and scrubbed the tank and did lots of water changes but there is still alot of them stuck to the gravel. the situation hasn't gotten any better and my filter is also clogged with algae..how do i get rid of the algae, especially from the gravel??? thnaks alot guys. the algae is most likely hair algae

How many gallons or litres is the tank.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

What colour is the algae.
What filter are you using.
Do you over feed.
Is the tank near direct sunlight.
How long do you have the tank lights on.

You will have to remove the gravel and clean it off. Or just steralise some new gravel.
Put the sponges in a jug of old tank water while you clean the filter and impellor.
Dry the filter before adding the sponges back.

Clean out the filter, do frequent water changes, and decrease the lighting. As said before it should clear up in a week or two, decreasing the lighting will help A LOT.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back