Algae in 50g now.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Animallover😍

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I now have(I think)brown algae in my 50g. It's all over my substrate. Just wanted to ask, is it also brown algae on my Java Fern?

algae.jpg

I shall reduce the hours of lighting in this tank too.

After I changed the substrate, all algae issues stopped, then I got another LED light for my plants it works nicely, it is on 6h a day, abt 2 wpg.
Algae coming back. What should I do, before it massacres my plants(mainly ludwigia and Java Moss)
Btw, my Java Moss seems to be recovering after being battered badly by the algae attack.

java moss recovering.JPEG

This is hard to determine without much information.

So far I have got 6 hours of lighting time
With a new LED light unit.
And you have changed the substrate as well presumably within a short period of time.

Based on this, means you have not given the tank and plants time to settle and establish properly since you've changed the lights AND substrate.

Brown algae is usually something like diatoms which is usually common in newly set up tanks so this would make sense if you keep changing things around in your tank.

But the main thing is, you don't mention how long this tank has been running and how long you have had algae going on and when did you change the substrate and lights before you had algae again, this information may be useful before we can give any sort of advice that may be more accurate and helpful.

One or two more question once you've answered the above query.
Do you dose any fertiliser, be it root tabs or liquid ferts?

Is there any livestock in the tank also?

Am not sure you do have livestock since feeding is mentioned in earlier posts but nonetheless if this is the case then both ituwhetu and Bruce are correct in saying overfeeding may cause some water issues where algae outbreaks can be possible.

But at the moment, it does not appear too bad an algae issue judging from your photos so far.

This is hard to determine without much information.

So far I have got 6 hours of lighting time
With a new LED light unit.
And you have changed the substrate as well presumably within a short period of time.

Based on this, means you have not given the tank and plants time to settle and establish properly since you've changed the lights AND substrate.

Brown algae is usually something like diatoms which is usually common in newly set up tanks so this would make sense if you keep changing things around in your tank.

But the main thing is, you don't mention how long this tank has been running and how long you have had algae going on and when did you change the substrate and lights before you had algae again, this information may be useful before we can give any sort of advice that may be more accurate and helpful.

One or two more question once you've answered the above query.
Do you dose any fertiliser, be it root tabs or liquid ferts?

Is there any livestock in the tank also?

Am not sure you do have livestock since feeding is mentioned in earlier posts but nonetheless if this is the case then both ituwhetu and Bruce are correct in saying overfeeding may cause some water issues where algae outbreaks can be possible.

But at the moment, it does not appear too bad an algae issue judging from your photos so far.
Yes, 6 hrs of light, 2 new LED light units.
I have changed the substrate too.
It is diatoms(and is over my ludwigia and java fern)
I got the latest LED light around a month ago.
I changed the substrate around 1 1/2 months ago.
I will add a pic, but the algae is not too bad.

Diadoms are the bane of most fishkeepers lives...total irritating nuisance

Keeping the glass clean on the inside every water change by using paper towel wiping up the glass rather than round in circles will help get rid of it

That said, it will go by itself eventually.....can take several weeks once the balance is back within the aquarium following the substrate change

Six hours lighting should be fine.....diatoms are a pain in the butt (one of my hexagonal aquariums has it after I changed the scape a couple weeks ago)

Many do not realize that you cannot prevent algae in a healthy aquarium. What we do want to manage in a planted tank is control of "problem" algae. I agree with others that things don't look bad in these photos.

Indeed, I’ve had algae in every tank I’ve owned over the years, pretty normal for most keepers to have a little algae in their tanks.

After all, algae requirements are exactly the same as plants!
Just a case of controlling algae growth in various ways.

Only had diatoms once though and that was down to the silica in the sand I had at the time I think, went away if it’s own accord after a few weeks, was ugly in meantime but did go away.

Worst one was when I tried co2 set up for first time and hair algae was rampant, did not enjoy that at all.

Here some pics(with the lil' photobombers)
As you can see, this leaf of wisteria is dead, but they grow another small plant from it which is why I left it in there.
There are diatoms and hair algae on it.
hair algae.JPEG

Are the black fuzzy balls on this java moss hair algae?
java moss algae.JPEG

and some hair algae in my 10g(ludwigia is highly susceptible to algae)
ludwigia algae.jpeg

Heres a real algae breakout. I fixed this within 2 weeks by adding a Nano+ Water Sterilizer. It is $180, and completely fixed my algae problem. You, however, do not have an algae breakout. I had 4 different types of algae, all very bad. If you want to spend some money, that’s what you spend it on. Flagfish will take care of that hair algae.

Attachments

• 84315197-6760-4F52-A1D0-60305CD8F4AF.jpeg
    84315197-6760-4F52-A1D0-60305CD8F4AF.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 85

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back