Algae Identification, if that's what it is and discussion (pics Included)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bcoleman90

Reaction score
I have been fighting to figure out what this black stuff on my Anubias is. I presume its algae, but i have 0 phosphate, Nitrate, nitrite, & ammonia. The canister filter has been cleaned and replaced with fresh media. Not Pictured: I have 8 Otoc Cats and a few Amano Shrimp that wont eat this stuff. What is it and how do i get rid of it? Ive tried cleaning it and it comes back, the Hygro stem plants are also getting this "algae" on their leaves even after pruning and removal of contaminated leaves. Side note, my Rocks and Driftwood appear to have Red Algae, could this be the same?

Attachments

• Anubias black leaves.jpg
    Anubias black leaves.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Anubia, dwarf hair, & H. Poly.jpg
    Anubia, dwarf hair, & H. Poly.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Red Algae on Rocks.jpg
    Red Algae on Rocks.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 103
i think it is called green spot algae. most things dont eat it. try cleaning yourself

i think it is called green spot algae. most things dont eat it. try cleaning yourself
Would you recommend dipping the affected plants and rocks into Hydrogen peroxide? I've tried scrubbing but you cant even scratch this stuff off. and harder i feel like id damage the leaves. I also have Flourish Excel and heard that it can be directly applied to the affected plants for algae removal.

Would you recommend dipping the affected plants and rocks into Hydrogen peroxide? I've tried scrubbing but you cant even scratch this stuff off. and harder i feel like id damage the leaves. I also have Flourish Excel and heard that it can be directly applied to the affected plants for algae removal.
umm i dont think you should do that. specific for some plants. it says pull the affected leaves off and scrub other things.

I tend to avoid chemicals, so when my tank had it, it went away once I cut the light to 8 hours a day. I also have a lot of surface cover with duckweed and hornwort, so they shade a lot.

oh actually do you like nerite snails? they help but buy them only if you like them

maybe short that down, always helps
I've been looking at a Nicrew Pro light timer that will simulate Sunrise / sunset gradually increasing and decreasing output at the beginning and end of its cycle. It should shorten the full intensity down to 7 hours if you think that will help.

I've been looking at a Nicrew Pro light timer that will simulate Sunrise / sunset gradually increasing and decreasing output at the beginning and end of its cycle. It should shorten the full intensity down to 7 hours if you think that will help.
ye or turn down light level also look at nerite snails. if you have a lot of algae and you like them, get some nerite snails. they will not breed in freshwater so get more

ye or turn down light level also look at nerite snails. if you have a lot of algae and you like them, get some nerite snails. they will not breed in freshwater so get more
unfortunately i have pest snails. not on purpose but i heard they were good to keep for algae. i believe they are trumpet snails as they have a long cone shape shell and don't get very big.

unfortunately i have pest snails. not on purpose but i heard they were good to keep for algae. i believe they are trumpet snails as they have a long cone shape shell and don't get very big.
nerites are better and they live with pest snails fine. i have a looot of pest snails but that does not compare to even 1 nerite snail. think you have pond snails.

Yes, the ones on the leaves look like Malaysian Trumpet Snails, and I think they are prolific breeders. I have a Nerite and she keeps the tank clean. Also, Nerites don't breed because they need brackish water, so you won't have a population explosion.

One hour a day less of light could be all you need.

The light is a Nicrew LED Classic on a timer.

Tank at 9 hours of light:
1609871436081.png

Tank at 8 hours of light:
1609871499941.png

No scrubbing, no cleaning, no chemicals. Just light adjustment.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back