Algae Help.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

n3ont3tra

Lets go Flyers
Reaction score
I've had this algae for months now.. Actually probably over a year and I can't stand it anymore lol :shout:
It's everywhere. It breaks off in little pieces and gets stuck in the powerheads. My corals grow on the algae instead of on the rocks, and then the algae breaks off and the corals float away behind a rock somewhere.
It's almost impossible to remove manually.
Is there any way to get rid of it?
fishtanks012.jpg

My tank is 37 gallons.
No sump, no skimmer
2x flame hawkfish
1x clarkii clownfish
1x six line wrasse

various snails and crabs (scarlet hermits, astreas, nassarius, banded trochus snail, emerald crab, fighting conch)

I was thinking maybe an urchin would eat it?

I've had this algae for months now.. Actually probably over a year and I can't stand it anymore lol :shout:
It's everywhere. It breaks off in little pieces and gets stuck in the powerheads. My corals grow on the algae instead of on the rocks, and then the algae breaks off and the corals float away behind a rock somewhere.
It's almost impossible to remove manually.
Is there any way to get rid of it?
fishtanks012.jpg

My tank is 37 gallons.
No sump, no skimmer
2x flame hawkfish
1x clarkii clownfish
1x six line wrasse

various snails and crabs (scarlet hermits, astreas, nassarius, banded trochus snail, emerald crab, fighting conch)

I was thinking maybe an urchin would eat it?

What are your water parameters and how often do you do water changes?

20-30% Water change once a month. I know it should be less water more often but I've been busy. I'll try to do water changes more often.
I'll test the water later tonight.

I have algae that looks very similar to that. My emerald crab doesnt seem to touch it but my scarlet reef hermits seem to like it.

My emerald crab doesn't touch it. I haven't noticed my scarlet hermits eating it but I only have a few of those.
Yeah I guess it's some sort of macro algae. I dont know lol.

Vitamin C dosing will kill it if it's macro, or even if it isn't it will. :p If you really want to get rid of it.

Just trying to persuade people to my Vit. C side!

Is it invasive? Is it unsightly? Is it killing livestock? If it's no to all 3 leave it be, it will be a good nitrate and phosphate control.

What are your phosphate and nitrate levels?

I does look like a macro algae to me so I would be inclined to agree with Sorgan and say leave it as it is. Useful bit of biological filtration. If it is too invasive though then getting your phosphate levels down will get rid of it or at least slow its growth down to nothing.

Vitamin C dosing will kill it if it's macro, or even if it isn't it will. :p If you really want to get rid of it.

Just trying to persuade people to my Vit. C side!

I'm not getting invoved in the algae discussion but would just like to comment on how amazing your tank looks. i have tank envy. can only hope that one day i might be abe to achieve this...have only had my tank 5 mnths and it looks bland and boring!!

It's invasive, unsightly, and clogging my powerheads. :/
It's on almost every rock, and like I said, the xenia is starting to grow over the algae instead of on the rock, and then the algae breaks off and the coral gets lost.
And I can't find the little card that shows the directions for my nitrate test, and directions. :(

I would check your phosphates as these are more than likely causing the issue are you using any phosphate removers or a reactor?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back