Algae has suddenly appeared everywhere! help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

StuntMan86

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So my 240L tank has been running for the last 5 months and had been totally clear until around a week ago.
All of a sudden I have algae hair algae growing on all the plants and rocks etc.

Since I'd set the tank up I've been using a weekly dose of Flourish along with daily doses of liquid C02 and the light has been on a timer from 1pm-10pm daily without any issues till now. The only thing I've changed is that I'd use started using Fluval active carbon in my filter (both tanks - I also have a 125L tank with the exact same issue that started around the same time)

Are there any products that remove whatever is causing this sudden explosion of agae?

fish.jpg

It appears to be BB (black beard) algae.

BB algae is usually exterminated by dipping the affected plants in hydrogen peroxide, but that method can be time consuming.

Here is a great and informational thread on beating BB algae: https://fishlab.com/black-beard-algae/

I did buy a phosphate testing kit and it appears that my tap water has phosphate in it (1st photo)
But my tank water doesn't seem to have any or it's very low (2nd picture)

In this case could big water changes cause more damage than good by causing a boost in phosphate?

Attachments

• 20210313_160553.jpg
    20210313_160553.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 20210313_162147.jpg
    20210313_162147.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 74
I'd used it to remove treatment but had left it in for a short time.

The carbon has been out for weeks now butbthe algae has got way worse anyway.
Understood....that BBA is tough to get rid of, hopefully others here will be able to help

I did buy a phosphate testing kit and it appears that my tap water has phosphate in it (1st photo)
But my tank water doesn't seem to have any or it's very low (2nd pictureAl
Algae has an advantage over plants when there is a nutrient deficiency. you do have a phosphate deficiency from the test results.

How often and home much water do you change out of your aquarium? With adequate weekly water change you should have some phosphate if you tap water has it. You also might want to check your water hardness. (GH). Plants need Calcium and magnesium to grow. Flourish has Ca and Mg but not a lot. So if your tap water is soft and if your water changes were not adequate you could also be low on Ca and Mg.

Algae. The perennial problem. What to do about it and what not to do. The causes and the solutions. Just when you have it figured out something changes. I have seen something interesting lately. I've been fighting brown algae for a long time. It only grows on the glass so I just wipe it off the front glass every other water change. No snails, no algae eating fish and no algicides. Now, about a year later it is starting to die off on its own. Why ? I do not know.

Usually in a healthy tank like yours - just get Ancistrus and long strand algae is eaten long before it gets long and inedible to fish. That and water changes,filter cleaning should do the job. Also- shorten your photoperiod. 8 hours max and six to really stop the algae.
Doesn't look like your in need of peroxide yet...but a light touch of it could help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back