Algae growth on plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Salts155R

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Could someone identify this algae and possibly help with some ideas on how to get rid of
0B45412E-2EF3-46B6-8114-D2F4ABCBFE73.jpeg
14178A6C-1765-4D7D-B758-FAA2E5E1D8DF.jpeg

Looks similar to what I've been fighting. Mine is probably due to overfeeding or the lights getting left on too long each day. I don't know of any other method to get rid of it than frequent water changes. I currently do 70% water changes WEEKLY and I'm still fighting this. Usually once 70% of the water is out of the tank, we put a couple of buckets of clean water back in, then suction it out, then repeat that again until we feel like the algae has been washed out of the gravel. We also remove and wash separately any plants or decorations. It's a huge amount of work. Sorry!

Agree with Jan Cavalieri, excess nutrients and light. Java ferns require a low amount of light. If you have have other tall plants, move the java fern by them so it gets some shade. You could remove it and place it in a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Thanks guys I’ll set my timer for less hours, currently have it set for 10 hrs, feeding twice a day with small pinch of flake and small pinch of slow sinking pellets.
I’m using plant boost as well as my other plants started to go brown and off colour, their slowly coming back to life.
The tank has just finished cycling(stock in cycle with minimal stock)
PH 7
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Temp 26
100L tank
Air stone
In tank filter
LED light

if I was to move this plant to the left side of the tank with my other plants will this shade it.
picture attached 705270EA-1A91-4D3E-8473-C4CFD3B428B1.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back