Algae Formation

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Crazybob

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all,
Recently, when cleaning my tank I began to wonder about the formation of algae and where it comes from. I understand from keeping tanks that it grow from excess light and food waste (I do believe anyhow, I'm by no means an expert). I'm more curious about the biology of it, like how is it originally created. I was having a similar discussion with my roommate about bacteria in meat, we both understand how it grows but not how it gets there. It made me think of fish tank algae, and I thought someone on this forum may know about it.

Thanks,
Crazy

Any algae that you find has come in through water that came with your fish or as spores from your environment. It does not simply come out of nowhere as was once thought about bacteria. (They called it spontaneous generation back in the early 1800s.)

many sources. from the water from the petstore or maybe the plants. We can soeculate all we want

Hello all,
Recently, when cleaning my tank I began to wonder about the formation of algae and where it comes from

It comes from Mama and Papa algae. Papa algae has a "special seed" that he places in Mama algae, and the seed fertalises an "egg algae" in the Mama,
then it grows and grows in her big round tummy until it's ready, then it finally gets delivered by a stork and left on the doorstep in a basket.

Sorry, I'll go back to doing something sensible now. :look:

Most reactions

Back