Algae Explosion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

flyhigh

Reaction score
Ladies and gentlebots,

Overnight my tank has had an algae explosion. All I have done is a regular water change 50% and have cut down 50% of my java moss since it took over my tank.
My readings are the following:

PH = 6.7
No2 Nitrite = 0ppm
No3 Nitrate = 15ppm
Amonia = 0

PLEASE HELP!

alg.jpg

alg1.jpg

alg2.jpg

have cut down 50% of my java moss since it took over my tank.

I suspect this may be the reason.
Plants / algae compete for the nutrients in the tank, you have removed one of the competitors, so the algae is thriving.

Time for a clean up crew, maybe cut down on the lighting and make sure there is no direct sunlight hitting the tank!

Cut down on the lighting or turn it off for a while? I have cut down 4 hours of lighting since it happened. Any other suggestion? And what do I do in the future. That Java moss took over my tank so I had to get rid of some.

My tank had some algae problems because of the sun hitting it though the window. Cut down on the lighting for a while.

Have no direct sunlight. Tank has been fine for half a year. Just wondering how I can get rid of the algae while keeping my fish happy.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Your nitrates aren't too high, you are limiting the light. My guess on why you suddenly had the bloom is the extra light and nutrients avaliable in your tank since removing some of hte moss, so the algae too over.

there are several different types of lights you can use. maybe try useing a light that does not provide as many of the lumins required to support plant life? Or on the ohter hand something that likes to eat the algae like say a pleco or two?

there are several different types of lights you can use. maybe try useing a light that does not provide as many of the lumins required to support plant life? Or on the ohter hand something that likes to eat the algae like say a pleco or two?

Yeah had a small pleco, but magically dissappeared overnight. NO IDEA what happened. Maybe it died and the others ate the remains. I do water changes on time. Would adding a bunch of snails help?

My first algae bloom, the plant forum advised me to turn the lights off for a week. It worked to cut the algae back. After that I was able to control it by a better lighting schedule.

I recently had a bad bloom in the big tank. Even two large Plecs weren't getting it under control. After getting the water stats back on track, I started turning off the lights, only having them on for feeding. Again after a week I am beginning to see results. The light regimen and the Plecs are making a dent.

So what I am suggesting is to turn the lights off completely. The plants will make it through a week.

My first algae bloom, the plant forum advised me to turn the lights off for a week. It worked to cut the algae back. After that I was able to control it by a better lighting schedule.

I recently had a bad bloom in the big tank. Even two large Plecs weren't getting it under control. After getting the water stats back on track, I started turning off the lights, only having them on for feeding. Again after a week I am beginning to see results. The light regimen and the Plecs are making a dent.

So what I am suggesting is to turn the lights off completely. The plants will make it through a week.

They have been off for 10 days now. Just came back from a trip and the algae has cut back some. The glass sidewalls are covered with algae though and I cannot rub it off with my hands. Would it be a bad idea to scrape it of with a plastic scraper? Change the water. Add a new pleco. Replace the one java fern, turn on the light?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

The glass sidewalls are covered with algae though and I cannot rub it off with my hands. Would it be a bad idea to scrape it of with a plastic scraper? Change the water. Add a new pleco. Replace the one java fern, turn on the light?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I would say it is fine to turn the lights back on. Remember to aim for a 10hour on time where possible, and if algea builds up, reduce the hours. A plastic scraper or sponge with scouring pad fixed to the back can be used to remove the algea on the fornt and side glasses. It is hair algea (probibly) so will take some work to remove. Do not use metal scouring pads though, as they may mark to glass.
Water changing and replacing the java fern should help, but be careful with plecos. Commons can reach over 1foot in length. A common Bristlenose on the other had will max out at 6 inch. 4inch however is more common in the aquarium.
HTH
rabbut

I used the sponge with the almond shell back to rub out the build up. I tried blades etc but the almondshell scrubber was easier in the long run. If you do your light schedule in 4hour segments or short segments with breaks in the middle you will control the blooms better that are do to light, ime.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have bught a aquarium scrubbing pad and works great. Did a 80 percent water change. Put the light back on a 10 hour schedule and everything looks clean at the time. i have bought 3 chinese algae eaters instead of a new pleco. Bought the pleco under the agreement that I could return it if it got to big. Have a good relation with my LFS, unfortunately it died.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back