Algae Eating Fish for ADFs?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

knoopdogg

Reaction score
Hello all!
Keeper of 2, 7 year old (I know, very old!) ADF's here. Recently I've had a pretty big algae outbreak (water conditions seem great, however..) and am wondering what type of algae eating fish will live peacefully with my ADF's. My ADFs seem fine about each other, however sometimes attacking each other. (I mean when you live in a 10ga with your worst enemy, I guess so haha) They are in a 10 gallon freshwater tank with a filter.

I don't recommend keeping fish with frogs because any medications used to treat fish will normally kill the frogs. In addition to that, some fish will pick on the frogs, and the frogs will eat some fish.

If you have an algae problem, either reduce the lighting and nutrients, or add live plants to use the light and nutrients.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

As @Colin_T said, frogs and fish won't work.

If you have and algae outbreak, reduce the lighting by and hour or so a day and try to remove it manually. Or...Add live plants. Anancharis is my best suggestion.

Okay thanks! Glad I didn't just go and get one of those algae eating catfish thing at Petsmart

Also, one of my frog has had cloudy eyes lately. Does anyone know what it might be? The other seems fine. They are about 7 years old.

nerite snails and algae eating shrimp do well with ADFs.
As for them attacking eachother, most likely theyre trying to make babies.;)
Also ADF are very social creatures if only the two id add more.
Providing plants can reduce algae ADF are light sensetive and shy, floating plants will provide shade and dim light.
If no plants in current tank simply leave the light off, algae needs 8 hours of continuous light to grow including light from outside the tank, window, light fixture ect.. Increase water changes decrease feeding keep filter clean of rotting organics.
That should decrease algae. Keep in mind algae is a normal part of a healthy tank until it becomes problem algae starts killing plants and such than its just unsightly.
Good luck i love ADF

Yes, a pleco lol.
It all depends on what type it is. For example, BNP (Bushy Nose Plecos) only grow up to 6in. long and can be housed in a 29g tank.

However, a "Common" pleco and grow over 12in long and is not a good choice. :)

Also, one of my frog has had cloudy eyes lately. Does anyone know what it might be? The other seems fine. They are about 7 years old.
Cloudy eyes are normally from an injury or poor water quality.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week and see if it helps.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them.
Pour the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

It all depends on what type it is. For example, BNP (Bushy Nose Plecos) only grow up to 6in. long and can be housed in a 29g tank.

However, a "Common" pleco and grow over 12in long and is not a good choice. :)
This info is correct, however they cannot be housed with ADFs, they may pick on them and adfs have a hard time finding food with other species in the same tank. Getting a fish has already been decided no :)

This info is correct, however they cannot be housed with ADFs, they may pick on them and adfs have a hard time finding food with other species in the same tank. Getting a fish has already been decided no :)
I was just letting the OP know. They could be kept with ADF's, depending on the temperament of the ADF.

Most reactions

trending

Back