algae eaters

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
which algae eater does the best job? i have one Chinese algae eater, but iā€™ve read that Siamese algae eaters do a better job.

post a picture of the algae

how big is the tank (length x width x height)?

what is the GH and pH of the water?

do you have any live plants in the tank?

itā€™s dark now so no luck getting a pic but itā€™s brown. 10 gallon with 2 small shobunkin goldfish( i have a 20 gal for them when theyā€™re get bigger)- no live plants, a lot of plastic. donā€™t know the GH or PH. my fish are in the room with my birds so trying not to wake them up ;)

not a fish question but is the Australian Koala Foundation a reputable charity? i have symbolically adopted a koala and have bought from the gift shop. they look good to me.

Algae grows anywhere there is water and light. If you have live plants, they use the light and reduce the algae. If you don't have any live plants, then algae will grow instead.

If you don't have live plants, just have the light on for a couple of hours in the evening and this will reduce the algae growth, or add some live plants. Live floating plants like Water Sprite usually do well and if you grow too many, you can plant them in the substrate. The goldfish will probably eat most live plants you add and that is good for them because it helps their digestion.

Don't bother putting algae eaters in the tank to control it because most are tropical and don't do well with goldfish.

Chinese algae eaters can get aggressive when they mature so monitor it. If it becomes agro to the other fish, you will need to remove it.

--------------
I have no experience with the Australian Koala Foundation, however it does appear to be a registered charity with the Australian Charities and Not For Profit Commission, and that usually means it is legitimate. See link below for more info about it.

Algae grows anywhere there is water and light. If you have live plants, they use the light and reduce the algae. If you don't have any live plants, then algae will grow instead.

If you don't have live plants, just have the light on for a couple of hours in the evening and this will reduce the algae growth, or add some live plants. Live floating plants like Water Sprite usually do well and if you grow too many, you can plant them in the substrate. The goldfish will probably eat most live plants you add and that is good for them because it helps their digestion.

Don't bother putting algae eaters in the tank to control it because most are tropical and don't do well with goldfish.

Chinese algae eaters can get aggressive when they mature so monitor it. If it becomes agro to the other fish, you will need to remove it.

--------------
I have no experience with the Australian Koala Foundation, however it does appear to be a registered charity with the Australian Charities and Not For Profit Commission, and that usually means it is legitimate. See link below for more info about it.
thanks very much Colin.

Have you tried cleaning it out yet? It would take a single pleco a long time to eat all of that algae. Never get a fish just to solve your problem is what I've learned over the years. :)

Have you tried cleaning it out yet? It would take a single pleco a long time to eat all of that algae. Never get a fish just to solve your problem is what I've learned over the years. :)
yeah i do clean it off. itā€™s the Pleco of America union that keeps its workers safe. lol

yeah i do clean it off. itā€™s the Pleco of America union that keeps its workers safe. lol
Most plecos get too big for a 10 gallon tank. Despite their reputation plecos dont eat a ton of algae, they munch on the slime that covers wood and the wood itself. Chinese algae eaters dont eat much algae at all and will actually suck on the slime coat of other fish and they get too big for a 10 gallon as well. Siamese algae eaters or flying fox are both shoaling fish that belong in groups of 6 or more and get around 6 inches which would require atleast a 40 gallon tank and once they get bigger and older they dont eat much algae eater. Normally id suggest ottocinclus a dwarf sucker fish but they are too small to be kept with goldfish and too sensitive to be kept in a tank with dirty goldfish. 1 gold fish needs about 30 gallons but hey thats another issue and ottocinclus are tropical warm water fish and goldfish are cold water fish which really limits you to snails which your goldfish will most likely eat. Be better off finding out whats causing algae, my guess would be 2 gold fish in a 10 gallon tank. Goldfish are dirty fish that expel a ton of ammonia, in a tank that small your biological filter cant keep up with the ammonia and break it down to nitrate excess ammonia feeds algae, excess nitrates feed algae. Easiest solutuion get a bigger tank, rehome goldfish, or change water everyday. Also limit feeding and keep light on under 8 hrs a day. Algae needs 8 hrs of continuous light to grow. Any light from anywhere an outside window a light from a room outside the tank any light. Id say buy plants but goldfish eat most plants as well.

I agree with Utah fish

Most plecos get too big for a 10 gallon tank. Despite their reputation plecos dont eat a ton of algae, they munch on the slime that covers wood and the wood itself. Chinese algae eaters dont eat much algae at all and will actually suck on the slime coat of other fish and they get too big for a 10 gallon as well. Siamese algae eaters or flying fox are both shoaling fish that belong in groups of 6 or more and get around 6 inches which would require atleast a 40 gallon tank and once they get bigger and older they dont eat much algae eater. Normally id suggest ottocinclus a dwarf sucker fish but they are too small to be kept with goldfish and too sensitive to be kept in a tank with dirty goldfish. 1 gold fish needs about 30 gallons but hey thats another issue and ottocinclus are tropical warm water fish and goldfish are cold water fish which really limits you to snails which your goldfish will most likely eat. Be better off finding out whats causing algae, my guess would be 2 gold fish in a 10 gallon tank. Goldfish are dirty fish that expel a ton of ammonia, in a tank that small your biological filter cant keep up with the ammonia and break it down to nitrate excess ammonia feeds algae, excess nitrates feed algae. Easiest solutuion get a bigger tank, rehome goldfish, or change water everyday. Also limit feeding and keep light on under 8 hrs a day. Algae needs 8 hrs of continuous light to grow. Any light from anywhere an outside window a light from a room outside the tank any light. Id say buy plants but goldfish eat most plants as well.
thanks for your help. as Colin said most algae eaters are tropical and wouldnā€™t work in a goldfish tank. i do have a 20 gallon for the goldfish. i will put them in it soon.

are hillstream loach algea eater? They like cooler temperature like goldfish so that is why I am asking.
edit: I just looked and they do eat algea and I think they can live alone not like most other loach

Hillstream loaches are schooling fish, needing 6 or more. They are a grazing fish and will eat algae and biofilm. They require a tank of about 50 gallons+ as they are active foragers. They require very clean water and a temp lower than 75f

@Byron

Last edited:
are hillstream loach algea eater? They like cooler temperature like goldfish so that is why I am asking.
edit: I just looked and they do eat algea and I think they can live alone not like most other loach
yeah thanks _ i searched on them. they are an algae eater that needs colder water -that should work with goldfish. thanks- i had not heard of them before.

Hillstream loaches are schooling fish, needing 6 or more. They are a grazing fish and will eat algae and biofilm. They require a tank of about 50 gallons+ as they are active foragers. They require very clean water and a temp lower than 75f
Aquarium coop did a video about them and there is a lot of things in that might surprise a lot of people, he said at a moment in the video that he kept some in 20 gallon so I think it can be done https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAB6BAgCEAQ&usg=AOvVaw1m-5tPEYIEGUygWPaB9_BX

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back