Algae Eaters

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
After reading the first post and as I'm starting back with tropicals, I've followed the advice about Otocinclus,

They were 3 for £5, but as they were only small I thought I should get more than 3, the guy at the shop advised against it, saying 3 would be just fine for my tank.

Wow don't they do a good job, so I thank you for some great advice (and him at the shop)

Paul

Just wanted to add another note of caution here for any newbies that may be reading.
I had two Flying Foxes, but a while back the largest of the two (still only small by the way) had to go back to the LFS because he was bullying the smaller one.
From then on, the smaller one grew like anything and was quite a character around the tank ........... untl yesterday, when he started to show a little bit too much interest in my goldfish for comfort.
So he was fished out last night, and will be on his way back to the LFS this morning. I was waiting for it to happen, and it has.
So there we go - these fish are sold as community fish in alot of places, and they are to start with, but I'm afraid things don't always stay that way.

With Amano Shrimp, how many would you need for a 50-60 litre tank to have a substantial effect on the tank. I have two but they don't seem to do that much . . .

I realize this is an old post, but I just wanted to throw in my $.02.

Anyone looking into purchasing an apple snail (AKA Mystery Snail) should definitely check out Applesnail.net. This site is amazing, it contains everything you would want to know about these snails. Also, as said earlier in this string, not ALL apple snails eat live plants! In fact, the most common plant eater (Cannas) are illegal to ship across state lines and are no longer readily available.

In addition, keep in mind that a full grown Brig (non-plant eating apple snail) will occupy 2.5 gal. of water in a tank, and hatching a clutch could yield 50-100 babies. Shipping across state lines requires permits, and it's illegal to ship a brig less than a quarter in size. Make sure you have a home for all of your little ones before you hatch a cluth to save you heart ache in the future.

If you still think that you can provide a good home for a snail, check out Aquabid.com - there's a ton of snailers selling their homestock, and they come in a huge variety of colors that you'll probably never see at the LFS.

My husband & I just bought my son a tank (see siggy for specs) and we're realizing that the algae eater, Herbie, will get big and will need to be replaced.

I'm going to talk to my son about this tonight, he's 8 years old and is quite attached to Herbie after only a week.

Our LFS said we could bring Herbie back when he's bigger and exchange him for a smaller fish. However, if my son decides he'd rather have a fish he can get attached to and keep for a long time, would a bristlenose plec be our best bet?? Is there a more attractive algae eater we could get??

We'd like to stay away from shrimps and snails. Thanks!!

Hey if your sons attached to the fish hes not going to want to get rid of it, maybe you could a find a cheaper tank for it just for it so it won't have to be as large as it would be with other fish, That would make him feel better i also recommend using clown plecs they don't get longer than a few inches and are dedicated little guys!

what about cherry shrimp

If your talking cherry shrimp for algae i would walk the other way i dont no much on shrimp but... I would go with clown plecs most any catfish or mystery snails to clear algae Ive done best with them.

My husband & I just bought my son a tank (see siggy for specs) and we're realizing that the algae eater, Herbie, will get big and will need to be replaced.

I'm going to talk to my son about this tonight, he's 8 years old and is quite attached to Herbie after only a week.

Our LFS said we could bring Herbie back when he's bigger and exchange him for a smaller fish. However, if my son decides he'd rather have a fish he can get attached to and keep for a long time, would a bristlenose plec be our best bet?? Is there a more attractive algae eater we could get??

We'd like to stay away from shrimps and snails. Thanks!!

Hey if your sons attached to the fish hes not going to want to get rid of it, maybe you could a find a cheaper tank for it just for it so it won't have to be as large as it would be with other fish, That would make him feel better i also recommend using clown plecs they don't get longer than a few inches and are dedicated little guys!

what about cherry shrimp

If your talking cherry shrimp for algae i would walk the other way i dont no much on shrimp but... I would go with clown plecs most any catfish or mystery snails to clear algae Ive done best with them.

Im sure Algae Eater Herbie is big now considering this post is from 2006 MBIR :good:

James.

This was an excellent post, very informative and educational, esp. for a beginner like me who has never owned an aquarium and just got one for Christmas. But you lost me in this bit.... I get what you're talking about but it would really help if you can explain what are triton tubes, reflectors, etc.. Are you suggesting you have a basic setup, or that you have minimal plant-supporting elements in your tank?

Oh, i am sooooooo n000b.

...two 30 W Triton tubes, reflectors, and a bit of pond soil in the substrate are the only concessions to plant growth. There's no laterite, or CO2 fertilisation, or high-output lights.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back