Algae Eater

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

This is brown algae right? I am kind of confused as to where itā€™s coming from because everything Iā€™ve seen said it comes from not having enough light but is only forming on the tops of things that would have more light?
Is the algae forming on the glass? If so it is most likely a form of brown algae which most usually gets taken over by green algae in aquariums but high organics cause all types of algae so can I ask how much food you feed? And how many fish there are?

I could say the same about pond snails right now.. Luckily they do an awesome job at cleaning my community of algae so I let them of lol
Did a little surface-level research yesterday and turns out, most of my snails are bladder snails! Not that I ever bought any bladder snails, must have come off of plants. They keep the tank spick and span though, so I guess I'm on the same boat as you! They get a pass.

Remember the frogbit? I did warn you they might have snails or snail eggs on them ;)
Ohhh, yes you did! I think it may have come from my own plants or something though, since they first made their appearance in the big tank rather than the 54L where I used the frogbit.

It's growing nicely, by the way. Had a bit of a scare but it's looking well again.

Is the algae forming on the glass? If so it is most likely a form of brown algae which most usually gets taken over by green algae in aquariums but high organics cause all types of algae so can I ask how much food you feed? And how many fish there are?
Itā€™s really starting to take over now and I guess thatā€™s hair algae on the plants? There are 14 fish and some shrimp and bladder snails in the tank.

Attachments

• 50D89F27-A987-43E6-8FA2-624E94D2F865.jpeg
    50D89F27-A987-43E6-8FA2-624E94D2F865.jpeg
    359.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 03C1FDF7-7996-4198-BFAF-405E792BA9B0.jpeg
    03C1FDF7-7996-4198-BFAF-405E792BA9B0.jpeg
    335.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 49E02431-43FF-4BB7-A77D-2BD34ED4DDDA.jpeg
    49E02431-43FF-4BB7-A77D-2BD34ED4DDDA.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 32
I donā€™t suggest getting livestock to solve algae issues. Most of the time, algae can be fixed by adjusting your lights and your nutrients.

A nerite would be my choice here. They can't reproduce in freshwater and, unlike shrimp, prefer algae and biofilm over fish food.

A nerite would be my choice here. They can't reproduce in freshwater and, unlike shrimp, prefer algae and biofilm over fish food.
Do they like brown algae? I was leaning towards otos because some said they love brown algae

Do they like brown algae? I was leaning towards otos because some said they love brown algae
Yes they do.

I would not recommend otos because there are so many that die in aquariums, they are lovely but they are sensitive fish and need careful planning (and a lot of luck) to meet their needs.

Yes they do.

I would not recommend otos because there are so many that die in aquariums, they are lovely but they are sensitive fish and need careful planning (and a lot of luck) to meet their needs.

Nerites are poop machines and they also leave annoying white eggs everywhere, which may not be something the OP wants.

Anything which eats algae poops a lot.

But I do agree about the eggs. I scrape them off the glass but leave them on the decor.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back