Algae eater suggestions for 260L tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

EmJay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Any suggestions which algae eaters I could add to my 260L (UK) tank please?
The tank is mature, well planted, has wood and pleco caves and sand substrate.

Must be compatible to live with....
Cardinal tetras
Marbled hatchet fish
Black schultzei corydoras
Giant fan shrimp
Amano shrimp
Red cherry shrimp
Assassin snails

Ph is 6.8 - 7.2
Kh is 3 - 6 d/53 - 107 ppm
Gh is 21 d/375 ppm (I'm in a hard water area)

How much algae is in the tank?

Post of pics of the tank....if the algae is overwhelming, then there are other issues to address

It depends upon the species/type of algae. What I call "problem algae," such as black brush, will not be eaten by the so-called "algae" eating fish like otos, bristlenose, farlowella, etc. These fish would be OK in your tank, but they only eat common green algae and diatoms.

Snails, shrimp, and the otos, bristlenose, twig catfish (Farlowella vitatta, not the "royal" species which get large) will deal with the normal green algae and diatoms.

Thanks for your replies....
I haven't got a photo of the algae unfortunately as I've already cleaned it off.
It wasn't an overwhelming amount, I'd just like to add something to help maintain it going forward.
It's just the ordinary algae that you get on the glass.
Hope this helps

In a healthy aquarium, common green algae is normal and to be expected. Aquaria with no such algae are in fact probably not all that healthy. There will always be nutrients and light available for algae, even in planted tanks where most of these go to the higher plants.

The inside glass should be cleaned with a sponge-type scraper at every water change even if you do not see anything. Surfaces covered by water develop a biofilm, and along with bacteria and microorganisms, algae will live in these. Fish such as those I mentioned earlier do eat this, but the aquarist still has to take some responsibility, and a weekly cleaning is a good idea. I never see anything, but if for some reason I let the glass cleaning go for two or maybe three weeks, without question it will become obvious.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back