Algae Cleaners/Brushes

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
What is the best glass cleaner to remove green algae? I always use a credit card but one tank is really high and my shoulder always hurts afterwards. Suggestions?

Years ago I bought a sponge-type glass scraper, it is very stiff sponge, and I use it on the inside of the front glass at every water change even though I never see anything...but if I miss a week or two, I usually do see some algae next time. It is more a preventative in that sense. Side and back glass can be done as you like. This won't do much for green dot algae if that should happen to get missed, especially if it is in a small scratch on the glass, but it is a very good tool.

These two links are similar to the one I have, which I can't find at the moment (online I mean, probably discontinued, it is so good a tool!)

Years ago I bought a sponge-type glass scraper, it is very stiff sponge, and I use it on the inside of the front glass at every water change even though I never see anything...but if I miss a week or two, I usually do see some algae next time. It is more a preventative in that sense. Side and back glass can be done as you like. This won't do much for green dot algae if that should happen to get missed, especially if it is in a small scratch on the glass, but it is a very good tool.

These two links are similar to the one I have, which I can't find at the moment (online I mean, probably discontinued, it is so good a tool!)

That kind what I had in my mind. I had one but the sponge fell off quickly. Thanks so much!

What is the best glass cleaner to remove green algae? I always use a credit card but one tank is really high and my shoulder always hurts afterwards. Suggestions?

The best algae glass cleaner I have come across is thisDIGIFLEX Aquarium Cleaning Sponge - Fish Tank - Scourer Brush Scrubber Algae Remover https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JKLWBJ8/?tag= works wonders and cheap

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks guys. Anyone tried the magnetic ones? My right shoulder gives me a lot of trouble and I’m right handed.

I use the magnetic one. You leave it in the tank up in a front corner and use it at least once a week so the algae doesn't get away from you.

Just a normal sponge for small tanks and floating algae magnets for tall tanks. The algae magnets come in a floating style so if they come off the glass, they float back up to the surface. They also come in a standard type that does not float and will sink to the bottom if it comes off the glass.

If using algae magnets, make sure there is no sand or gravel on the magnet because it will scratch the glass. And be careful when using the magnets near the substrate for the same reason.

Remove the magnets and wash and dry them after use to stop them rusting.

Think I’ll get one of each. Thanks, guys!

It is advised to use a regular aquarium sponge depending on the type of glass you have and use the appropriate sponge.
You can also use the sponge to clean the overflow pipes or the aquarium’s sides or clean some of the decorations.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back