Algae bloom

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I have sand too. Initially I was vacuuming it but there is very little now so I an using tweezers whenever I see any. If you go slowly the BGA comes off in sheets and stays clumped together.

I’ve made a sieve on a stick to try and help with the issue, because my tank is rather deep, so Atleast the sank is being sieved back into the tank

@NCaquatics you're knowledgeable with wood as hardscape arent you i think? Shouldn't have the bark left on should it? Not that this might be the cause

I've had pieces with bark left on in some spots without issues.

However, I've been advised cyanobacteria can thrive off of organics in the water, given OP's light schedule feeding into it, there's a good chance the excess light schedule combined with extra organics contributed but is not the main cause.

Think of it as a recipe.

A combination of ingredients to create the product.

I usually leave the bark on with oak twigs.
Do you have any livestock yet? One of the things I uncovered while reading up for my tank was that lack of Nitrogen (ammonia or nitrates) can tip the balance in favour of the bacteria. I can't verify this but I did have plants growing for 2 weeks before I added fish and was adding micro nutrients (Flourish comprehensive) but no macro nutrients (NPK).
To be on the safe side I have ordered a new LED as well. The one I have been using is over 10 years old so there is no guarantee the spectrum is still the same as when it left the factory - and LED lights have come a long way in the last 10 years. The other reason for the new light is the old one is not dimmable and my tank is long (i.e. its a big light unit) but shallow, so it could just be intensity.

I usually leave the bark on with oak twigs.
Do you have any livestock yet? One of the things I uncovered while reading up for my tank was that lack of Nitrogen (ammonia or nitrates) can tip the balance in favour of the bacteria. I can't verify this but I did have plants growing for 2 weeks before I added fish and was adding micro nutrients (Flourish comprehensive) but no macro nutrients (NPK).
To be on the safe side I have ordered a new LED as well. The one I have been using is over 10 years old so there is no guarantee the spectrum is still the same as when it left the factory - and LED lights have come a long way in the last 10 years. The other reason for the new light is the old one is not dimmable and my tank is long (i.e. its a big light unit) but shallow, so it could just be intensity.
I've had cyano in a 2.5 gal with lots of floating plants and hornwort... very low nitrates and it was a constant battle with cyano. I gave up and got a bigger tank haha

So there's some grounds I think to that aspect of it too.

Most reactions

trending

Back