Albino strawberry Cichlids...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Floridapierce78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have an A.S.C. (albino strawberry cichlid ).
His name is twitch because, well, he twitches. My wife brought it home not realizing what it was. She told me she looked up the water parameters amd they were kinda close to our electric blue Acaras. But she didn't read enough. He has been in a new world cichlid tank for about 6 weeks now with 2 electric blue Acaras, a pleco, angel fish, green severum amd a gold severum. I know the 60 gal tall tank
i have them is will be way to small when the grow up so I am trying to figure out if I get bigger tank for everyone or just get a tank setup fir just him amd give him some friends. But has he adjusted already. I don't know what to do. I have a 125gal but it's inhabited by 2 oscars. I don't think anyone of them wanna go in there.

Cichlid Aulonocara Sp
Peacock cichlids (Aulonocara species), cool, got it.

Get another big tank and put the soft water cichlids into it and leave the peacock where he is. Then increase the hardness of the water for him and get him some girlfriends so they breed and you can sell the babies and buy more tanks.

Ok. So leave him in the 60 gal. I will get a 220 for the oscars. They are breeding! Brutal! And put the soft water guys in the 125. Amd use the 36 as a fry tank. Inlove fried fish...jk

There is no species name because it isn't a naturally occurring form. It's more than likely a hybrid.

I bought a bag of fry in an auction, identified as something else, and grew them out. They were not aggressive as adults. I gave mine to a school for a classroom tank.

Ok well, we got him from a box store. So. The point is he is a lake Malawi cichlid ( rock fish). Amd we are trying to give Hon a good home. Yes, him. Because if egg spots on anal fin. So what, he is a hybrid.. thank you for telling us how smart you are. Without helping the issue.

Not a rock fish. They are also found over sandy areas, unlike mbuna, and are not as aggressively territorial. Some friends with 'peacocks' have had males who wrecked their tanks and killed all tankmates, but only when they were in breeding situations. My group co-existed with a range of other fish, although all were fairly tough characters. A lone male might work out. I had a group of five, but only kept them til they were in the 3-4 inch range.

Not a rock fish. They are also found over sandy areas, unlike mbuna, and are not as aggressively territorial. Some friends with 'peacocks' have had males who wrecked their tanks and killed all tankmates, but only when they were in breeding situations. My group co-existed with a range of other fish, although all were fairly tough characters. A lone male might work out. I had a group of five, but only kept them til they were in the 3-4 inch range.
"Mbuna" means rock fish. It we got him completely on Accident. I never intended to have a aftrican cichlid tank. However dir the kast month. He stayed on bottom. But he is completely g into his own and swimming around everywhere. He us not aggressive at all. Yet. I just dont know what to do with him. I thought the water parameters would kill him. But nope. He chillin. Like on vacation in Central america.

I'd be concerned about the angelfish. It's in rough company.

The reason I said your Aulonacara isn't an mbuna is behaviour. It isn't from the same habitat as mbuna, and it isn't usually as psycho about its space. These things are relative, as they are still rougher than your South Americans. If he decides to throw his weight around, he won't need a lot of weight to cause trouble. As I said, I unloaded mine when they were still young, but they were in with livebearers, ancistrus catfish and rainbows and didn't harm them. In time, maybe that would have changed.

The Oscars might eat it. Fish could get hurt in that set up. Either tank could have its white knuckle moments. Weirdly, the twitching his name comes from is signaling, but a lot of problems come because your SA Cichlids speak a different body language, and what he says to them might not get the response he expects. All Lake Malawi fish expect other fish to listen to them.

I'd be concerned about the angelfish. It's in rough company.

The reason I said your Aulonacara isn't an mbuna is behaviour. It isn't from the same habitat as mbuna, and it isn't usually as psycho about its space. These things are relative, as they are still rougher than your South Americans. If he decides to throw his weight around, he won't need a lot of weight to cause trouble. As I said, I unloaded mine when they were still young, but they were in with livebearers, ancistrus catfish and rainbows and didn't harm them. In time, maybe that would have changed.

The Oscars might eat it. Fish could get hurt in that set up. Either tank could have its white knuckle moments. Weirdly, the twitching his name comes from is signaling, but a lot of problems come because your SA Cichlids speak a different body language, and what he says to them might not get the response he expects. All Lake Malawi fish expect other fish to listen to them.
Thank you. Also, I have one 5 inch electric blue acara. He is in the tank with his babies at the moment. But he ran the 60 for the longest time. I'm thinking about putting him back before "twitch" gets bigger. What are your thoughts? And I will also post a link to a video of twitch.

Honestly, I would not keep Twitch. No, let me be even more honest. I'd buy another tank for him, and end up with a bunch of Malawis.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back