Albino polypterus

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ghostknife

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
In one of my local aquatic shops they are selling albino polypterus. They are
7cm to 10cm but all of my other polypterus are about 20cm, will they get on? or should i put in one of my other tanks until it is bigger (the only tank that i have is a 2ft tank containing neons, platies, various tetras other tetras, harlequins, cories, siamese fighters and a bristlenose cat)

Does anyone else have an albino plypterus?

Thanks

gk

These are most likely albino senegal bichirs :D You should look for the biggest, healthiest, and fattest one, and then decide on wether or not the other bichirs would eat it :D

I do, they looks so much better than the normal senegalus. Im not sure bout them getting on though, ive always thought bichir are docile bt ive seen pictures of them attacking each other.

Definitely an albino senegal, any other albino species would reach sky high prices.

You could put it in at your own risk

I've kept them at times, don't care for them a whole lot, though (I much prefer even regular senegal coloration). What size tank would it go in if you didn't put it in the 2' tank? A few more tank descriptions and/or water parameters would be helpful. ;)

Agree its a Polypterus senegalus senegalus however a 7-10cm bichir is a tasty snack to a 20cm bichir you really have to keep the sizes fairly close.If you want
use a growout taank till it closer in size then transfer it -Anne

I dont think they will eat him. Aslong as you feed them it should b cool. I added a SAP to my senegalus tank, which was very stupid and did remove it but he didnt get eaten as was really tiny. An inch maybe.

Puffers are an all together different subject, bichirs are much more worm-like and thus more appealing as a snack... there is a very good chance that it would be eaten, I would be amazed if it wasn't. It might be okay in your 2' tank, as they are often too slow to catch quicker fishes, though there's always the chance that they will.

Thanks for the info. I could put it in a small grow out tank, but the only tank that i have spare is one of those small plastic tanks with the ventilated lid.

When he is big enougth he will be moved to a large 4ft tank containing other polypterus, spiny eel, a bgk, a plec and a purple spotted gudgeon.

The 2ft tank idea was that i would put him in their until he is bigger then move him over to the 4ft tank, but he will probably eat the neons.

I do, they looks so much better than the normal senegalus. Im not sure bout them getting on though, ive always thought bichir are docile bt ive seen pictures of them attacking each other.

I have different polypterus (senegalus and ornatipinnis) in the same tank and they are fine

Is the pic in your avatar the albino you bought?
Your avatar looks like a leucistic. Much more expensive are very rare

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back