albino oscar

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mikk1301

Reaction score
can anybody help?i have a 110gall tank with 4xcatfish(synodontis)ranging from 4"to12" giraffe cat 8" arowana 12" 1x dollar 4",lima 12" 2x sailfin plecs(10-12")1x fire eel 8" and my albino oscar (5"),the tank is well established(1year) i put in a jaguar ciclid which terrorised my tank for 2 days,i took him out and swapped him for the fire eel,since this happened my oscar has become very lethargic not eating and some pin holes have appeared in his fins he also has some black speckles down his side,is this stress or is it a disease?he used to feed from hand but now shys away please help dont want to loose my precious oscar.all readings seem normal running at 25.4degrees

Right can you post water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, any sign of flicking and rubbing or laboured breathing the black spots sound like a parasite, with a secondary infection of bacterial finrot with the holes in the fin.

Not the writer of this information.

Black Patches

Symptoms:

Black patches, smudges, smears, spots or markings that suddenly appear and are not natural colorings.

Cause:

These markings are the result of skin cell damage. Black markings often appear in areas where the skin has been damaged by ammonia burns, bacterial infections, parasitic infestations, and injuries. These markings are often seen on fish just after a new tank has completed “cycling,” due to the high ammonia levels. These marks are also common in African Cichlids, especially around the mouth. These are scabs that have come from digging in the gravel or from fighting.

Treatment:

No treatment is necessary. Much like scabs, the blackened areas are a sign that the healing process has already begun. Keep water in top condition and the areas will gradually fade in less than a couple of weeks.

the ph is 6.7 and n02 is 0.1 i also have 2 tinfoils 10" 2x sharks 6" 3x clown loach 5" 1x red tail black shark 4" 2x kissing gouramis 1x6" 1x3" not over stocked?

You have a slight nitrite reading there for nitrite so i would recommend a water change, do you have a ammonia test kit.

did water change yesterday,no ammonia test left getting new tomorrow,the black marks appear to be a pigment thing no actual sores or scabs,also noticed a dent on front of face(like a air bubble under the toplayer (hard to explain)) cant get a picture the hole in the fin is the same at a loss!!!!

I would get an ammonia test kit with having a nitrite reading, the pin holes in the fin are bacterial finrot, the marks could be due to fighting,ammonia burns, just have to keep an eye on them, the bubble sounds like gas bubble desease does it look like a blister.

Does this sound familar not the author of this information.

Gas Bubble Disease

Symptoms:

Symptoms include blisters that are clearly visible beneath the skin, particularly in the head area, in and around the eyes. Blisters may also form inside the body. Sick fish will make a croaking sound when removed from the water.

Cause:

Oxygen oversaturation: This disease is most frequently seen in heavily planted or Algae-ridden aquariums or ponds. In such a scenario, oxygen production can be so great that it upsets the proper balance of dissolved gases in the water causing very small gas bubbles to form inside of the fish. If these bubbles move to the blood stream they can be fatal.

Remedy:

Perform an immediate water change to restore the proper gas balance. Clean away Algae and reduce the amount of live plants. Use an anti-algae chemical if necessary, such as Algae Destroyer. Reduce lighting to reduce oxygen production by the plants.

looks like a bubble has burst under the top layer so the dent is half of a bubble

Wilder said:
Does this sound familar not the author of this information.

Gas Bubble Disease

Symptoms:

Symptoms include blisters that are clearly visible beneath the skin, particularly in the head area, in and around the eyes. Blisters may also form inside the body. Sick fish will make a croaking sound when removed from the water.

Cause:

Oxygen oversaturation: This disease is most frequently seen in heavily planted or Algae-ridden aquariums or ponds. In such a scenario, oxygen production can be so great that it upsets the proper balance of dissolved gases in the water causing very small gas bubbles to form inside of the fish. If these bubbles move to the blood stream they can be fatal.

Remedy:

Perform an immediate water change to restore the proper gas balance. Clean away Algae and reduce the amount of live plants. Use an anti-algae chemical if necessary, such as Algae Destroyer. Reduce lighting to reduce oxygen production by the plants.
[snapback]917150[/snapback]​

the tank has no algae and is in a good state,i spend too much time love and care to let it get as described above also no live plants p.s wilder you are truly a fishkeeping god!

Where is the dent, have the fish been fighting.

the dent/bubble is just above the mouth between the eyes

The dent is it the same colour as the fish, also is there any bleeding beneath the dent, and also look for little pinholes in the head area.

the dent is the same colour as the fish,no pin holes that i can see

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back