Albino Corys - Blind?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Humanist

Reaction score
Are albino corys blind? They appear to be unable to see wriggling bloodworm even when they are only millimetres away. If they touch the worms, they grab them and eat them with great enthusiasm, but if they do not accidentally touch them, they seem oblivious to the prescence of the worms at all.

They shouln't be blind, no, although it's always possible you have a batch that have defective eyesight. Cories use their sense of smell and their barbels to find food more than their eyesight anyway.

I'm not sure. They don't seem to have any problem following each other around as they shoot back and forth across the front of the aquarium, and they can easily evade a grumpy betta when he decides they need to know who's boss, but they certainly don't seem to see those wigglers as a juicy snack!

Cory's do have poor eye sight, in the wild they're found in muddy rivers, which is why they evolved to have barbels, to help them forage for food.

Maybe they're just not used to being fed live food.

I'm not sure. They don't seem to have any problem following each other around as they shoot back and forth across the front of the aquarium, and they can easily evade a grumpy betta when he decides they need to know who's boss, but they certainly don't seem to see those wigglers as a juicy snack!

Hmmm most of my corys can't find food to save their life. I have never fed mine live foods, but have fed them frozen brine shimp...

And most of the danios got it.

Corys just aren't used to floating foods or live foods. They're used to sinking foods.

So I give mine 2 sinking wafers every night. :)

[Hikari Sinking Wafers]

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back