Albino cory with a gray tummy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Zed.

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a little worried about one of my albinos. I recently noticed that his stomach is very gray and somewhat distended after cleaning the tank. He's still been swimming around with my three other albinos.
The only noticeable difference is he seems hungrier than usual. I've fed my fish the same amount I always do, he's just a lot more assertive when it comes to dinner time.
I've attached a couple photos of him to help. Sorry if they're poor quality, it was hard getting him to sit still long enough!

Attachments

• Snapchat-1202888397.jpg
    Snapchat-1202888397.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Snapchat-614221301.jpg
    Snapchat-614221301.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 70
It could have intestinal worms or some other parasite in its abdomen.

The following link has information about deworming fish. See section 3.

Thanks for the response! I think I'll put him in a quarentine tank to observe him. I still don't know which treatment, if any, to give him.
I haven't noticed any changes in his excrement. He does continue to swim around with everyone else and seems pretty normal. I have noticed him breathing a little heavier today but he doesn't swim to the surface for air.

The only medication I would suggest is a deworming product. It may or may not help but deworming medications are safe and most fish carry intestinal worms. At the very least it would rule out intestinal worms and then it comes down to something else that is in the fish. Otherwise just monitor the fish and see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Not sure if this is a dumb suggestion or not but could it just be a gravid female and you can see the eggs? I’ve never had albino cories so I’m not sure if eggs would show like that or not.

Not sure if this is a dumb suggestion or not but could it just be a gravid female and you can see the eggs? I’ve never had albino cories so I’m not sure if eggs would show like that or not.
I'm not sure. This is my first experience of this as all of my corys are rather young, less than a year. So it may be just be the first time carrying eggs? I have no clue...

The only medication I would suggest is a deworming product. It may or may not help but deworming medications are safe and most fish carry intestinal worms. At the very least it would rule out intestinal worms and then it comes down to something else that is in the fish. Otherwise just monitor the fish and see how it goes over the next few weeks.
I will definitely keep an eye on him! He's been placed in the quarentine tank just in case he is sick or anything. So far he seems to be doing well, despite his stomach still looking gray and enlarged.
I hope I can figure out what's going on, I always feel so bad separating my corys considering they're schooling fish :')

Corydoras do not show a gravid spot like guppies do.

I would probably keep the fish in the main tank with its companions so it is less stressed. Any disease it may have will already be in the main tank.

Hey,
Thank you all for your responses! I'm still not too sure what's up with him.
I've noticed a little blue spot on his lower side. He's still swimming around and playing with his friends and is back to eating a normal amount.
Does anyone have an idea what may be the issue? I tried taking some photos of him but he wouldn't sit still long enough for me to get a good photo. :(
Screenshot_20210726-134148_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20210726-134128_Video Player.jpg

Hey,
Thank you all for your responses! I'm still not too sure what's up with him.
I've noticed a little blue spot on his lower side. He's still swimming around and playing with his friends and is back to eating a normal amount.
Does anyone have an idea what may be the issue? I tried taking some photos of him but he wouldn't sit still long enough for me to get a good photo. :(
View attachment 140490View attachment 140491
Snapchat-2134734606.jpg
i managed to get a little clearer of a photo. Hopefully that helps!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back