Albino Cories

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

augustaranger

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This may sound crazy but I read that cories fair better when their color is close to that of the substrate. In other words an albino cory + black substrate = stress. What do you guys think?

Also I need some smallish cories. Besides pandas and pygmies, which cories are 2 inches or less?

Thanks!

I never thought of it, but you may be right about the Corys being stressed by contrasting substrate. Sounds reasonable.

Here is a comparative list of Cats. Look for the Corydoras starting from near the bottom of the list. Then click to find their pics.

1.9" to 3.2" cats

Hi augustaranger,

I never considered using black sand, since it does look unnatural for corys, but I keep plants in most of my tanks and that's not necessarily natural for all of them either. More important is that the sand grains are rounded, and the depth is an inch or less, and gets stirred around regularly.

There are a number of smaller corys, but the most frequently found in an lfs is probably the C. metae (aka bandits) or the C. melini. Others in the 2" (maybe just a little larger) range, not common, but sometimes found, include C. similis, C. loxozonus, C. axelrodi, and C. guapore. There is also the C. trilineatus, usually sold as C. julii, that is a fine little fish in its own right.

IVE FOUND KEEPING ALBINO'S ON A DARK SUBSTRATE CAN NATURALLY STRESS ANY SPECIE, FOR ITS ALLOT MORE VISIBLE TO ANY NATURAL PREDATORS.
SAYING THAT , SOMETIMES JUST BY TANNING THE WATER AND ADJUSTING LIGHT IN THE TANK CAN ACT AS A MORE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT.
JUST CONSIDER MOST CORY'S NATURAL ENVIRONMENT

HOPE THIS HELPS.

Most reactions

Back