Air Travel With My Betta?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jfeld

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum, though I've had my betta Wendy for about two years. (She's nothing special in breeding or color, but she's got a hell of a personality.) I've taken her on long (8 hours) car rides before and she's been fine; I keep her in a large open nalgene bottle, half full, so there's plenty of water but it won't slosh (and good air/surface, too). This time, however, I'm flying, and I'd love some advice if any of you have experience with this.

First of all, how do bettas do in the air? I imagine it will actually be easier than driving, since the trip will be shorter and she won't be bounced around nearly as much, but I wonder about the pressure and stuff like that.

Also, what is the best way to transport her? I was going to go with the ol' nalgene but I'm worried that the airline will demand a standard-issue fish bag. Can bettas be transported in those bags? The amount of air in there is a concern - I feel quite uncomfortable putting her into anything closed off. Thanks!

BTW tonight they raised all us air security. and no liquida OF ANY KIND can be brought on the plane. at lease untill security goes down again. you might want to think about mailing her to yourself or some other way before the plane.

BTW tonight they raised all us air security. and no liquida OF ANY KIND can be brought on the plane. at lease untill security goes down again. you might want to think about mailing her to yourself or some other way before the plane.

yeah I was gonna say that, the only hand luggage your currently allowed is your travel docs, prescription meds, and if you have a baby then some milk for it but before you board the plane they will ask the mother to drink some infront of the staff to prove it isn't poisoned.

I would call the airport and ask. I mean, if there is a live fish in there, it can't quite be poisoned, could it? Hopefully they don't make you drink that water!!!! :p

Yeah, thanks everyone, I just heard about all that on NPR... pretty bad timing for my fish's first flight! although there's definitely no way for tiny Wendy to house a bomb, I understand that this security stuff doesn't necessarily follow common sense. I'll call the airport again today, but otherwise, my mom might be fish-sitting for a while...

Yeah, thanks everyone, I just heard about all that on NPR... pretty bad timing for my fish's first flight! although there's definitely no way for tiny Wendy to house a bomb, I understand that this security stuff doesn't necessarily follow common sense. I'll call the airport again today, but otherwise, my mom might be fish-sitting for a while...

aye, sadly with the current security situation I think having your mum fish sit is more than likely the best option.

It's better to leave her with your mom that risk having her impounded by security. :/

:hey: this might work:
050606_fish03.jpg

:kewlpics:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back