Air pump

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

New-keeper

Reaction score
Hello,
Just set up my tank (no fish in yet) and the air pump is confusing me. It is making a lot of noise and I’m unsure whether I have it placed correctly. Should it be above or below the water?
Thankyou

All ways above the water line, as if it is below and there is a power cut your tank can siphon out

You can see my air pump sitting on the left-hand side of the window.
20220813_175243.jpg

That has little to do with the noise though. I sometimes find my own make a fair bit of noise depending on the surface they are running on. If they are resting on a wooden shelf for instance the vibration is high and noisy. I place them on a sponge to minimise that. Also you should have an inline non return anti-back siphon to prevent siphoning.

There are a few ways to lessen the noise of an air pump - lessen not get rid of. Stand it on something such as a folded towel or a sponge. If it has a hanging loop, suspend it from something.
Read reviews of the pump, it may be one known for being noisy. Some air pumps are noisier than others.

The guidelines for positioning an air pump are above the level of the tank but not on the tank. And as Lynnzer said, always use a non-return valve in the tubing.

What kind of air pump; make and model? I use 2 Whisper 20s and they are next to totally silent.

Sigh, I wish I still had my first pump that my grandfather gave me. It was actually a dual piston pump.

There are a few ways to lessen the noise of an air pump - lessen not get rid of. Stand it on something such as a folded towel or a sponge. If it has a hanging loop, suspend it from something.
Read reviews of the pump, it may be one known for being noisy. Some air pumps are noisier than others.

The guidelines for positioning an air pump are above the level of the tank but not on the tank. And as Lynnzer said, always use a non-return valve in the tubing.
Why not on the tank?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back