Air Pump?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Antoniakr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have seen some people say you don't really need one in the tank

Is this true?

Could i buy one air pump and share it between two tanks by having it in one tank a few hours and then put it in the other for another couple hours and so on

it's all to do with surface agitation if your pump outlet is rippling the surface this will help get oxygen etc into the water.
instead of sharing with just buy a t piece and have it split two ways one into each tank

you'd need a good size air pump to make sure enough was getting through the line though

Okay thanks ill get looking for one on amazon :) 

just to be clear when i say pump outlet i mean filter outlet/spray bar as long as that's rippling the surface nicely you shouldn't require an air pump but will help if you do .

Well i dont know yet as i haven't bought anything. i will be able to next month :) i will probably buy one anyway just incase 

Not good for plants though I'm sure... Deprives them of co2... This correct anyone?

Nothing wrong with an air pump but they are just aesthetically pleasing and move water at the surface so good for gas exchange, I use one more often than not just to move water around a bit more.

Rybrows, yes I would agree that there is CO2 exchange with the air but then any surface water movement will do that and it needs to be done anyway for the benefit of the fish. I don't think a moderate number of plants would be unduly affected. I like the bubbles and it makes a change for some of the fish who play in them.

You certainly don't need one, As long as your filter causes surface movement then it's perfect as it is.
I've Never had one in any of my tanks as I don't really like the look of them at all.

I've been wondering the same think here. I've just got my tank set up and everything works a treat!

Just starting to cycle but I am wondering if I'll need an air pump. I've got a few live plants in there at the moment and my filter has a fairly good flow to it, although it seems to give a current in the water apposed to breaking the surface tension.

My filter is a hagen marina slim s20 with the marina 95l tank.

Any advice would be great. I'm not a huge fan of air stones but I'll venture there if needs be

It's just because im getting two tanks and even though i can find cheap good products pennys add up and its going to cost me a lot...

B3cca doesn't like them and i do. And that just about sums it up, Buy one if you like it, don't if you don't as neither the plants nor the fish will care either way.

I have airstones purely for the visual of having little streams of bubbles in the tank. I have a slight feeling my tall tank benefits from the extra surface agitation, since there's a reduced surface area for the amount of water, but the long tank has one purely for looks. I bought a 3' black tube that has bubbles the whole length and arranged it around the rocks and wood.

If you're looking for a good air pump, I've got an Interpet AV3, it has 2 outlets so you can use it over two tank if needed, or just in one big one ;) It's quiet and I've had no problems with it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back