Air driven filter uplift placement

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Mikeyboy123

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Hi. Just returning to fishkeeping after about 11 years and have a fairly basic question.

I used to use UG filters years ago and I always had the top of the uplift tube at or just above water level so that tank water could not enter through the top of the uplift and ā€œpush backā€ on the rising water.

Iā€™m currently cycling a nano and have modified a small internal box filter that I already had by attaching an old UG uplift tube to it. In this way I can use an air stone and the top of the uplift is at water level height. This cuts down on turbulence and noise.

Iā€™ve notice sponge filters are pretty popular these days and many of them seem to have very short uplift tubes that donā€™t reach the water surface. Even YouTube clips of UG filters quite often show the uplifts fully submerged. To my mind, this would vastly reduce the efficiency of the filter because tank water is constantly trying to enter back into the uplift tube. Yet it seems so common that maybe Iā€™m missing something?

can anyone advise if it is okay, or even preferable, to have the uplift below water level.

thanks,

mike.

Hi. Just returning to fishkeeping after about 11 years and have a fairly basic question.

I used to use UG filters years ago and I always had the top of the uplift tube at or just above water level so that tank water could not enter through the top of the uplift and ā€œpush backā€ on the rising water.

Iā€™m currently cycling a nano and have modified a small internal box filter that I already had by attaching an old UG uplift tube to it. In this way I can use an air stone and the top of the uplift is at water level height. This cuts down on turbulence and noise.

Iā€™ve notice sponge filters are pretty popular these days and many of them seem to have very short uplift tubes that donā€™t reach the water surface. Even YouTube clips of UG filters quite often show the uplifts fully submerged. To my mind, this would vastly reduce the efficiency of the filter because tank water is constantly trying to enter back into the uplift tube. Yet it seems so common that maybe Iā€™m missing something?

can anyone advise if it is okay, or even preferable, to have the uplift below water level.

thanks,

mike.
Ya itā€™s perfectly fine ,the bubbles move not the water, in have used sponge filters without uplift tubes and they work fine

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back