Aiptasia experiment

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Raki

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I reciently brought some macro from one of the LFS in my area . I tossed it in my sump. Wile I was changing my protien skimmer for a new better one I found 3 Aiptasias in the macro. Well I also have an independant 5 gallon sudo- nano that only has 1 dominio damsel 1 camel shrimp 1 large hermit crab a few green zoes and some snails , so I tossed them in that tank along with a handfull of macro. The thing is I haven't been able to keep any anemonies alive I've lost 4 condys and 1 curlie to date so I decited to see if these guys have the balls to try and survive ME. Would anyone like to take bets? What is the worst that can happen with these not so ugly creatures??? -_-

they can multiply and choke out every living thing in yru tank. Also if u stick a syringe in it and Inject some water you can blow thm up and have like a million multiply.

Fishy411 said:
they can multiply and choke out every living thing in yru tank. Also if u stick a syringe in it and Inject some water you can blow thm up and have like a million multiply.
freeky little things .At least in the 5 gallon tank I can pull 'em out any time

At least in the 5 gallon tank I can pull 'em out any time

ehh, not really. If you try to pull them out or bust them you'll have hundreds of the things. better to inject them with one of the many aptasia killers such as kalk, boiling water, joes juice elimi-aptias and so on.

ste :)

Raki said:
Fishy411 said:
freeky little things .At least in the 5 gallon tank I can pull 'em out any time
try " at least in a 5 gallon tank i couldDrain it and not lose a whole lot of stock when they overgrow it." You cant pull those things out. it would be cool to do a test on what removes Aptasia best

yeah i dont know i fu know how to frag corals or not but i would learn if u want to sve those zoos

Fishy411 said:
yeah i dont know i fu know how to frag corals or not but i would learn if u want to sve those zoos
Ummm, what? Zoos are not a good one to learn on. If you have not done it before try starting out with something that wont be deadly to the rest of the tank and you. What I mean by that is that the toxins can kill you. YOU CAN NOT CUT ZOOS! DO NOT DO IT! Just want to make sure all understand this. We do not propagate them like we do mushrooms, xiena, or clove.
There was just a thread on this where I explained how to propagate zoos. For your safty please read that thread.
The Aiptasia can be taken care of with a shot of joes juice.

peppermint shrimps and copperbands seem to be the two best "natural" cures for aptasia, although you do get ones that just won't touch them.

ste :)

The Reefer said:
ostrow said:
peppermint shrimp love to eat aiptasia

Maybe.
Mine did.. put two of them in my tank and have never had another aiptasia in my tank since
They dont just stop there, pepermint shrimp will also go after other small anemone you dont want them eating. Keep an eye on them.

OK OK OK you guy's don't seem to get it. I want to keep the Aiptasia. The Zoes I have are just a few small polips I got them at my LFS for $3 there are only about 10 polips in all and they are scattered though the tank. I personally think the Aiptasia are kinda pretty. I want to see if they can be "taimed" in a small tank . It's not a true Nano It's just a 5 gallon I got at Wal-mart with a built in light. I only have 1 damsel 1 camel shrimp and a hermit crab in the tank along with a nice little rubble pile thats full of pods and worms and a huge chunk of LR. If the Aiptasia get out of hand they would be VERY easy to get at to give 'em a dose of Joe's Juice and get them under controll. I'm mostly concerned with my pods and worms and the few small serpent stars I've seen in the rubble pile . Do I have to worry about the Aipasia eating these??

Aiptasia usually just stings your other corals to the point where they will close up, and it can damage them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back