Aikido

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ian H

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Anyone do/done it?

Started in november last year and still loving it. Hoping to go for my yellow belt grading soon :nod:

Also please no pointless discussion on "MMA beats aikido" i dont care, i would do MMA if i wanted :rolleyes:

No not done it, i'm not a fan of traditional styles and prefer prize fighting/sport fighting styles like ...MMA ;) lol

I'm in to Muay Thai (Brazilian style), Boxing and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

i go to a combat jujitsu class, and have been going since last september, and it's amazing!

Im still going to aikido, finally learnt all the first and second form moves i need for my yellow belt. Its just the bloody starts that are doing my head in :lol: :lol:

Should find out what date im doing my yellow belt grading on next thursday, would imagine a month or so but we will see

going back a few years now, when I was still at school, I did karate for 2 years, then moved house, and did ju-jitsu for about 6.

regularly sparred with a friend who was 5th dan nin-jutsu. Never could beat him.

there seem to quite a few similarities between jujitsu and aikido. really kept me fit :)

i think there are similarities too, we often have sensei's from akido and kempo and judo who come down to take a session, and it's easy to see the similarities and evolution of them :D

yeah there does seem to be alot of similarities with them, jujitsu seems to be more violent though :lol: more like "real" aikido. Aikido these days is watered down due to so many people get hurt/killed during practice :lol:

maybe its just our class but they teach us the "aikido" way and the "street" way, the street way is what most people dont see and take it that all aikido is tenkans and prancing around when in reality you can cut alot of that out and its still just as effective.

I love it either way though :good:

yeah, i considered aikido before taking up jujitsu, did look like fun.

i'm looking at starting iaido at somepoint maybe.

My personal preference from doing quite a few different martial arts is muay thai boxing! And to be quite honest I'm quite into mixed martial arts but I cant afford to get hurt and stay off work so I don't do it!

i want to learn a martial art some day. i dont know which one though, im thinking maui thai

Still waiting on a date for my grading, should be before the end of the month though :good: :hyper:

They have started doing a 2 hour saturday class now seeing as people have gradings coming up (quite a few of the black belts are going for 3rd dan in the summer) so went along today, good god it was hard! only a handful of us turned up, i consider myself quite fit and i was wrecked :lol:

Gone through all of first, second and third form now along with jo kata (only upto 12 though) only done third form today (forgot the actual name of it, jacket grab on the chest) so will be a bit rusty on that come monday but its only the first and second forms i need to remember for my grading. Was up infront today doing whatever sensei shouted out, was happy that i remembered everything. Not looking forward to doing it with movement though :lol:

Jujitsu and jiu-Jitsu are two very different styles.

Jujitsu (jujutsu) is a traditional Japanese style

Jiu-Jitsu (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, BJJ) is a sport fighting form of Judo made popular by the Gracie family in Brazil in Vale Tudo (bare knuckle anything goes fighting/early MMA) competitions, Judo was introduced to the Gracie family by a Japanese immigrant, and BJJ is their version of it.

The confusion is common because the pronunciation and origins are exactly the same...just the actual style is as different as say Karate is to Muat Thai.

Most reactions

trending

Back