ahhh!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to tell you this, but "cycle" is a total was te of money, I have tried using this product on two occasions. The first time it completely failed. The second time was to end a mini cycle, and it did absolutely nothing (wiht adding cycle daily and daily partial water changes, it took the nitrite a week to drop to zero from .5). I have never heard of any successful stories using that product.

What I think you need to do is begin a fishelss cycle, or remove the snails from the tank using a veggie, then buy a few hardy fish. If you think it is cycled from using "cycle", if you add pure ammonia, it will be gone within a day or two.

you can try. I know I've picked up a few from my mom's betta tank aka snail breeding ground.

Seriously, try the piece of vegitable. It will be the easiest way. Don't worry about if you don't get it in the tank tonight. It won't hurt anything if they are there for a few days.

Hey one ive cycled it cani have 3-4 dwarf puffers in it? i read they eat snailsand i have a lot and the tank has river rock and heavily planted?

would petco or petsmart have them?

and whast the $$$$ in the us cost for them

2 Dwarf Puffers (AND NOTHING ELSE) is the max for a 10G

Don't get a Skunk loach, agrresive, need to be kept in groups, not right for a 10G

Plecos are a big no way. Besides the fact they eat algae, not snails, they get way too big for your ten gallon.

As for the dwarf puffers, they are VERY sensitive to bad water. The general rule is 1 dwarf puffer for every 5 gallons, so you could maybe get away with two. However, this is a major gamble because they are very territorial. If you do go for two, you need to have a very heaviy planted/decorated tank with sand as a substrate. These usually aren't beginner fish, and they have some special requirements. Here is a profile on the dwarf puffers. http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=90950

If you had the gravel vac theory before, why ask what to do? If I were you I would seriously do research on dwarf puffers first. You should atleast now the size they get, how well they interact with other fish (not well) what they eat, what kind of water quality they like (ie pH, kH temp. etc) You are bound to end up with dead fish if you just throw a fish in you know nothing about. Oh, if you think people at Petco or Petsmart will tell you anything useful, you are wrong! Knowledge of fish is not a requirment to get a job. I know, I am speaking from experience, I didn't research anything when first started, and I wound up with very sick fish!

twinsmom said:
bubble-EYE21 said:
nothing in tank ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 2 tank running for 5 weeks i just bought plants thats all
[snapback]870076[/snapback]​
A fresh water pirhana
[snapback]870082[/snapback]​
Piranhas dont eat snails, and unless im wrong again, all piranha species are freshwater.
bubble-EYE21, listen to advice being given, just because people dont straight away give you the name of a fish to put in. They are asking you questions to make sure the tank is safe for the fish to go in to.
Even if you get a fish to eat the snails you will find the bottom of your tank will be littered with the empty shells. My advice is as one member has said (sorry cant remember the name/ just looked its tttnjfttt). Put a small saucer or similar on the bottom of the tank and put some lettice on the saucer with a small weight on it, leave in over night and remove and replace each morning. The reason for the saucer is because snails lay eggs everywhere so this will help keeping them out of the gravel and reproducing.
Rinse the plate each time you take it out.
Dan

EDIT: Added tttnjfttt name above.
Sorry i didnt remember it first time round tttnjfttt :*)

Your post makes it sound like you just want rid of the snails, but then you're really unwilling to take any option but having a snail eating fish.
If you want a snail eating fish, fine, why hide it under a cloak of having a snail problem?
IF it's the snail problem: the tank is currently empty, why not get snail-killing chemical (from LFS) and dose the tank, using same amounts as you would do in a stocked tank, then do a series of BIG water changes, including a good gravel vacuum to get rid of the corpses. All in, it should take say 3 or 4 days for the treatment and another 3 days to change water etc.
IF it's the wanting snail-eating fish: have a look in the oddballs section for dwarf puffer water / size/other requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back