Aging water?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Josh Q

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've heard a lot about aging the water before putting it in the tank for water changes but don't know the actual benefits. I started aging some water in an 18G storage container about 5 days ago. Anyone tell me how long to age it and what's so good about it? THanks.
-Josh

Aging water for 24 hours allows the chlorine to evaporate from the tap water and allows the PH to stabilize. I would recommend using some type of powerhead to keep the water circulating. Also heat the water to the same temp as your aquarium.

Altho standing the water will get rid of chlorine, it wont however get rid of any chloramine in the water(if u have any in the water) So its still best to use a de-chlorinator unless u are sure there's no chloramine in there.

I use a dechlorinator that doesn't remove metals and other trace elements. My lfs says its best for planted tanks. I think I spoil my red tiger lillies, along with all my other plants. Oh, and my fish too.

What brand do you use? That would be great because I'm changing all my tanks to planted. Thanks.
-Josh

I also would like to know what brand u use CF...

I am not chastising anyone on the use of chemicals here, but, a word of advice.

Never never never use any kind of chemical just because it sounds like a reasonable thing to do. Always check your water conditions before and after usage to be certain that A: you needed it, and B: it worked as advertised and your dosage was correct.

Don't get me wrong, I have a boatload of the stuff, but it is a last resort. A little planning like the use of RO/DI water can greatly reduce problems.

Just a little food for thought... :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back