Aggressive mollies and now I’m stressed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

carligraceee

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Okay so I’ve always known mollies tend to be aggressive. Especially the males. But I have been able to fix this situation in the past and wanted help sexing my mollies!
If they are males, then i have too many males and i need to replace two of them with females (i have one female molly and one female platy).

As of now, the male platt i got is far too small to pose as a bully but I’m planning on upgrading this Christmas! Anyways, help me sex these bullies please!

I know tank size can make them anxious and aggressive but this hasn’t happened since I purchased the fish without checking their sex. I think my female to male ratio is off. I know Watson (the orange one) is a male, at least that is what my friend who fish keeps told me!
Thanks guys!

Attachments

• B081A488-EDC1-4362-AECB-074E0EDE9D2D.jpeg
    B081A488-EDC1-4362-AECB-074E0EDE9D2D.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 3265029F-9D4F-4541-B488-AD78959034AE.png
    3265029F-9D4F-4541-B488-AD78959034AE.png
    551.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 7FF53546-4C83-4854-839B-D3630CB9AFBD.jpeg
    7FF53546-4C83-4854-839B-D3630CB9AFBD.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 75
Okay so I’ve always known mollies tend to be aggressive. Especially the males. But I have been able to fix this situation in the past and wanted help sexing my mollies!
If they are males, then i have too many males and i need to replace two of them with females (i have one female molly and one female platy).

As of now, the male platt i got is far too small to pose as a bully but I’m planning on upgrading this Christmas! Anyways, help me sex these bullies please!

I know tank size can make them anxious and aggressive but this hasn’t happened since I purchased the fish without checking their sex. I think my female to male ratio is off. I know Watson (the orange one) is a male, at least that is what my friend who fish keeps told me!
Thanks guys!
All three of these fish have been agressive towards my female molly. I was thinking it was because of food (I dropped an algae crisp in there for my shrimp, snails and ottos. But my mollies love them and were hounding them.

Ever since then, these three have been aggressive and I decided to put them in a timeout (I did it with my female platy when she had an attitude problem and it fixed it perfectly).

Let me know!

Platy ratio:
1 female: 1 male (when I upgrade I will purchase two more males)

Molly ratio:
1 female: ??? males

It could be tank size or not enough female to male ratio, if you say the others are all males i would try adding more females,So the attention is diverted between a few females.
If you have the tank space of course

Watson, the orange one, needs to be renamed Emma (Emma Watson) because he is a she. The orange/black is female as well. White/black is a male.

And yes, mollies can be savage! I was given a bunch of black mollies to feed oscars had had back in the day. They ate all but one male mollie. He was the king of the tank. If he was on one side of the tank, my 12"+ oscars cowered on the other side.

Watson, the orange one, needs to be renamed Emma (Emma Watson) because he is a she. The orange/black is female as well. White/black is a male.

And yes, mollies can be savage! I was given a bunch of black mollies to feed oscars had had back in the day. They ate all but one male mollie. He was the king of the tank. If he was on one side of the tank, my 12"+ oscars cowered on the other side.
Oh gosh of course. Thank you so much.

That means my ratio is this...

3 females: 1 male

But then why is the black and orange one being so aggressive?

After the isolation the other fish are doing great with each other now. In fact, two of the girls are hanging out together.

But Von (who is now a girl, the black and orange one) continues to chase away the other fish in the tank. I am not sure if she is doing it to the male though. Just the girls.

Oh gosh of course. Thank you so much.

That means my ratio is this...

3 females: 1 male

But then why is the black and orange one being so aggressive?

After the isolation the other fish are doing great with each other now. In fact, two of the girls are hanging out together.

But Von (who is now a girl, the black and orange one) continues to chase away the other fish in the tank. I am not sure if she is doing it to the male though. Just the girls.
She is also chasing away my baby male platy (who is probably not more than .75 inches). But she is fine when she around the male molly (Darth).

She is also chasing away my baby male platy (who is probably not more than .75 inches). But she is fine when she around the male molly (Darth).
So she has relaxed a bit. I noticed that she was eating a spot in the rocks that had been uncovered from a plant floating upwards. I think she is food aggressive. Is there any way to fix that or do I just have to deal with it?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back