aggressive guppy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishOwner101

Reaction score
I have a male guppy which has recently bitten and killed 2 other guppies, I've looked on google and it advises me to either give the fish back to the pet shop or get some more female fish. What should I do as I don't want to purchase anymore fish knowing that they probably wouldn't survive.

I have a male guppy which has recently bitten and killed 2 other guppies, I've looked on google and it advises me to either give the fish back to the pet shop or get some more female fish. What should I do as I don't want to purchase anymore fish knowing that they probably wouldn't survive.
Hello this might not work… but
Get more females to at least 1m2f ratio more is better
Put him in a breeder box for therapy,.. one time i had this aggressive female that did not like her new friends so she nipped them but i put her in a breeder and she still sort of nipped at them but after a while she was chill

It could be the guppy’s personality too, some can be aggressive some can just be cool and not really attack. A good way to check, is when you are buying fish look for the least aggressive ones in the tank you are buying the guppies from. Also, guppies can be aggressive when they are stressed I’m pretty sure. What is your tank size?

It could be the guppy’s personality too, some can be aggressive some can just be cool and not really attack. A good way to check, is when you are buying fish look for the least aggressive ones in the tank you are buying the guppies from. Also, guppies can be aggressive when they are stressed I’m pretty sure. What is your tank size?
yeah the gupy i was talking bout earlier was pregnant so she wanted to have her own privacy but guppies are also nosy

Hello this might not work… but
Get more females to at least 1m2f ratio more is better
Put him in a breeder box for therapy,.. one time i had this aggressive female that did not like her new friends so she nipped them but i put her in a breeder and she still sort of nipped at them but after a while she was chill
Apologies that I am unclear as to what you are suggesting to @FishOwner101 ? I like guppies and I like endlers but I've heard that they can be aggressive. I'm always out in the lookout for information on the topic.

Are you suggesting that he mixes males and females and that will fix the aggression?

Or put them, the males and females together in the breeder box together?

Or are you suggesting that he get more and then just isolate the one aggressive fish in the breeder box?

I know aggression between fish can be a natural activity for breeding, establishing territory, etc., it's just not something I want to have as part of my fish keeping experience.

I realize this may limit me. In fact it already has as I was hesitant to put even two species together! Now I want to add something else and it will probably take me a year to until I feel satisfied that it will be okay to try something. Maybe not?
Now I'm just rambling...

I've heard that cichlids can be very aggressive and there are many people that keep those but I imagine that takes a lot of knowledge and probably a few losses along the way. Or little knowledge and many losses.
I'll just keep admiring them since I don't have any knowledge about them.
I'm probably going to pass on guppies as well!

I do agree with what @Bettaguy08 wrote about the temperament of the individual fish involved and I understand there are always exceptions.
Also about stress as a factor.
(I don't remember what member it was that explained that fish give off chemicals when they're stressed out or when they're unhappy and then that could affect the other fish). After having internalized that information, I can't help but think of what that fish is going through to be exhibiting that kind of biting and killing behavior. It's beyond normal.

@FishOwner101
It sounds to me like the internet gave you pretty good advice, return your guppy or get some females. If you get females and they survive the aggression you will start getting a lot of guppies.

Maybe take it back and if you really want guppies do some research to find out what it takes to keep them peacefully. At least within the standards of the natural world they come from.

Finally, I am very, truly sorry about your fish. 😞

Last edited:
Sometimes you just get an aggressive guppy as they all have different temperaments. I have heard people talk about isolating an aggressive fish for a little bit and then returning it to the tank, but that might just be with fish showing a little bit of aggression. Good luck :)

Apologies that I am unclear as to what you are suggesting to @FishOwner101 ? I like guppies and I like endlers but I've heard that they can be aggressive. I'm always out in the lookout for information on the topic.

Are you suggesting that he mixes males and females and that will fix the aggression?

Or put them, the males and females together in the breeder box together?

Or are you suggesting that he get more and then just isolate the one aggressive fish in the breeder box?

I know aggression between fish can be a natural activity for breeding, establishing territory, etc., it's just not something I want to have as part of my fish keeping experience.

I realize this may limit me. In fact it already has as I was hesitant to put even two species together! Now I want to add something else and it will probably take me a year to until I feel satisfied that it will be okay to try something. Maybe not?
Now I'm just rambling...

I've heard that cichlids can be very aggressive and there are many people that keep those but I imagine that takes a lot of knowledge and probably a few losses along the way. Or little knowledge and many losses.
I'll just keep admiring them since I don't have any knowledge about them.
I'm probably going to pass on guppies as well!

I do agree with what @Bettaguy08 wrote about the temperament of the individual fish involved and I understand there are always exceptions.
Also about stress as a factor.
(I don't remember what member it was that explained that fish give off chemicals when they're stressed out or when they're unhappy and then that could affect the other fish). After having internalized that information, I can't help but think of what that fish is going through to be exhibiting that kind of biting and killing behavior. It's beyond normal.

@FishOwner101
It sounds to me like the internet gave you pretty good advice, return your guppy or get some females. If you get females and they survive the aggression you will start getting a lot of guppies.

Maybe take it back and if you really want guppies do some research to find out what it takes to keep them peacefully. At least within the standards of the natural world they come from.

Finally, I am very, truly sorry about your fish. 😞
i just mean that sometimes new fish will settle their pecking order and that might turn out as being aggressive if they do not settle on something
and also if guppies are not the right ratio they will bully others too much (unless you have trained them as a pair)

@Sgooosh
I do understand the general idea of your suggestions,
...although I said I wasn't clear 😂!

@FishkeeperDiscoWostit
did a good job summing up what you were suggesting...

...but your response was unclear as to the specifics of what you were suggesting so I
thought you might clarify it for everyone.

So I reworded this a couple times and it appears that no matter what I write it sounds weird and snarky. I didn't intend it that way...and I do know you wanted to help.

I'll move along now and steer clear of threads about fish aggression. The last time I responded to one I ended up going back and deleting it.

😕✨😸

I have 7 male guppies, 2 a 5 G tank & 5 in a 40 G tank. I would take some water from your cycled tank & move him immediately to a big jar or whatever. & let the pet shop know what’s going on & return him. I don’t have any females because I wouldn’t know what to do with the fry.

my tank size is 57L or 15G

@Sgooosh
I do understand the general idea of your suggestions,
...although I said I wasn't clear 😂!

@FishkeeperDiscoWostit
did a good job summing up what you were suggesting...

...but your response was unclear as to the specifics of what you were suggesting so I
thought you might clarify it for everyone.

So I reworded this a couple times and it appears that no matter what I write it sounds weird and snarky. I didn't intend it that way...and I do know you wanted to help.

I'll move along now and steer clear of threads about fish aggression. The last time I responded to one I ended up going back and deletin
Hi there, I am sorry if I came across unclear. Probably because I haven't got loads of experience with fish keeping and this forum yet. Some fish are just aggressive and there's not much you can do. I believe that isolating guppies for a few days can reduce signs of aggression, but as I have never tried it myself I am not sure if it always works. But all in all, just don't keep him in there. Thank you for the feedback Vanalisa, it is always welcome :)

Most reactions

Back