Aggressive female

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ThatDarnDragon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hey kids!

my friend gave me her 5 gal tank and her female bettas. She has 3 in the 5 gal, living peacefully for several months.

I introduced my other female, and they've been getting along fine for a few weeks, little over a month.

Suddenly my female started to show signs of agression.

Anyway I can get them to get along without removing her?

You may end up having to remove her; I have two from Wuv that just turned out to be real wenches. Don’t get me wrong; those two are lovely females, just not with other females. I tried adding more females, then less females, so just the biggest and meanest were together. Nothing worked. They now live alone in tanks beside one another.

Pull everybody, rearrange the decor in the tank, and then plop everyone back in, with the mean girl coming in last. That should make them resettle their arguments, and, since she'll be coming into the tank last, it won't be her territory and she SHOULD be less aggressive.

ok, I'll try rearranging.

she's only agressive to one particular betta, and she's the smallest one, a crowntail betta. Maybe she's jealous that shes not a crowntail? :p

I think she just found a little whipping girl that she can pick on without the little one fighting back. She's a bully.

Has it just been for a day or two?
Kiarra - could that just be egg time flaring up and making her haggy?

Some of my girls get really nippy around egg time for a day or 2... or 3... then they go back to normal. Or is it a long term thing that's been going on a while?

Yeah, could easily be egg time. Still best to rearrange the tank if possible. This will serve two purposes: 1) might make her drop her eggs if she's fat with them; 2) will make the tank neutral ground, or at least someone else's territory.

ok, tank's rearranged.

I got her old bowl ready, just in case.

and she's been acting for a few hours. my poor crown is cowering in the corner behind some plants

Are they all back in there?

What else do you have in the tank as far as plants, arches, rocks, etc.?
Lots of hiding places?

I have 3 caves, a few rocks forming an arch and a few silk plants.

I took out some of the rocks, thinking it was crowding the tank

they're all back in. their hanging around, getting usedto the area. keeping an eye on the rogue betta

after about 10 mins, she's at it again. I took her out and put her back in her old bowl. No need for my ct to get stressed out

Ah, well, it was worth a try.

I have one who lived peacefully in a community tank for a while, and now she HAS to live alone because she is the meanest, snottiest, angriest female Betta I have ever met in my entire life...and I've had a few evil ones.

Is your bully girl fat with eggs? Many of them do tend to get pretty evil when they're full of eggs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back