Aggressive dangerous dog in my neighborhood.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

@AdoraBelle Dearheart and @wasmewasntit I have never suggested that children should be left unsupervised with a dog, or for that matter a cat… I think this thread is done for me
Not you, and like I said, not trying to have a go or upset you!

It's the myth that they're a nanny dog that inherently promotes the idea that this breed of dog is particularly good with children. No breed is inherently good with children, and a lot of people believe this myth, and repeat it, solidifying the thought in people's minds that their kids are safe to be left with a pitbull "nannying" them.

This is why these conversations are important to have.

I apologise if I upset you. I'm correcting the source of the myth, not trying to have a go at you.

Not you, and like I said, not trying to have a go or upset you!

It's the myth that they're a nanny dog that inherently promotes the idea that this breed of dog is particularly good with children. No breed is inherently good with children, and a lot of people believe this myth, and repeat it, solidifying the thought in people's minds that their kids are safe to be left with a pitbull "nannying" them.

This is why these conversations are important to have.

I apologise if I upset you. I'm correcting the source of the myth, not trying to have a go at you.
The thing with a debate though is you listen to other information. It doesn’t appear that you are taking into consideration any other points of view. You view is valid, but based on a very small “data set”.

The thing with a debate though is you listen to other information.
I'm very prepared to listen to others views, and to consider any evidence that changes my views. What makes you think I'm not even listening? I haven't seen anything that has changed my stance yet, no, but I've only seen anecdotal stories so far, nothing statistical or scientific to show that pitbulls are the same as any other dog.

Can you please clarify what you think I'm missing?

You view is valid, but based on a very small “data set”.
I don't believe I'm drawing on a small data set? In my stupidly long essay post, I drew on all sorts of records for that info Historical uses for dogs, current breeding practices, how breeding has shaped the bodies and drives of other breeds, not just pitbulls even, bite and fatal attack statistics, legislation in the UK and in the US...

ETA: I've genuinely enjoyed your posts both here and in other threads @NannaLou , and gutted to think I may have upset you! That really isn't my intention :( I would like to understand where I've missed anything, or been too close-minded, but I'd also rather drop the debate and remain on friendly terms if it's too heated/personal and anyone's feelings get hurt. Debating the pitbull topic isn't worth that.

Last edited:
I put it in a word counter app and it says there are 4294 words including the members' posts she quoted.

There seems to be a discrepancy betwween Google Docs and the word counter app I used. Does anyone want to volunteer to manually count the words in AD's post to see which word counting app is accurate?
Now be fair, there were a few quotes in there, I didn't write those! I motion for those to be struck from the record before sentencing!
:fun:

IMO, if this is what were talking about, it depends on the dog. some dogs will hate something/someone that another one loves with all there heart.

Sadly this has hit the headlines here in the UK

I do not understand how the dog was even in existance considering it is a banned breed type. The dog was allegedly sold via Facebook, which is incredibly irresponsible both of the one who sold it and the one who bought it.

To look at the dog, it is a very well treated and cared for animal, good body weight and barely out of puppyhood

The previous owner stated that the dog was not good with other dogs but fine with people. Personally, as someone who has worked with Pit types, I would NEVER place one with a family with young children, especially one where its background and training is unknown. Dogs like this should ONLY go with fully experienced owners who have previous experience with Pit types, have no children or other animals in their home.

I suspect that the dog in this case was never fully trained correctly and placed with children who naturally played around it and probably made alot of noise, spooked it with tragic consequences.

How the previous owner obtained the dog, what training it had in his care, how the dog was introduced to its new home will probably never be known

But the stupidity and ignorance of the previous owner and the family who bought it have cost the life of a child and, inevitably, the dog

A review of the Dangerous Dogs Act has been long overdue and, perhaps, what is already in existance is not being enforced well enough. As for selling animals on social media, well personally I feel that should be banned completely, especially when animals such as this one - which should have qualified on the DD act - has been sold to a family with young children who have other children come round to play, as was the case with this dog.

RIP Jack Lis, aged 10. A young lad who had his entire life ahead of him stolen by a moment of madness and an irresponsible dog owner.

Sadly this has hit the headlines here in the UK

I do not understand how the dog was even in existance considering it is a banned breed type. The dog was allegedly sold via Facebook, which is incredibly irresponsible both of the one who sold it and the one who bought it.

To look at the dog, it is a very well treated and cared for animal, good body weight and barely out of puppyhood

The previous owner stated that the dog was not good with other dogs but fine with people. Personally, as someone who has worked with Pit types, I would NEVER place one with a family with young children, especially one where its background and training is unknown. Dogs like this should ONLY go with fully experienced owners who have previous experience with Pit types, have no children or other animals in their home.

I suspect that the dog in this case was never fully trained correctly and placed with children who naturally played around it and probably made alot of noise, spooked it with tragic consequences.

How the previous owner obtained the dog, what training it had in his care, how the dog was introduced to its new home will probably never be known

But the stupidity and ignorance of the previous owner and the family who bought it have cost the life of a child and, inevitably, the dog

A review of the Dangerous Dogs Act has been long overdue and, perhaps, what is already in existance is not being enforced well enough. As for selling animals on social media, well personally I feel that should be banned completely, especially when animals such as this one - which should have qualified on the DD act - has been sold to a family with young children who have other children come round to play, as was the case with this dog.

RIP Jack Lis, aged 10. A young lad who had his entire life ahead of him stolen by a moment of madness and an irresponsible dog owner.
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

That's really sad 😭

I kind of wanna bring this back up because my opinon changed.

I think that if a dog is agressive towards anyone for any reason and you've tried your hardest to train them and they still continue to be agressive, then yeah, I think it's probably time to put down that dog.
But if they're agressive and they've come from a really bad situation, and they can be trained to at least be nice to most people (and you wouldn't bring them in public) then I think that dog should be given a second chance.
It doesn't matter what the breed is, a labordor can be just as agressive as a sterotyped Pit Bull Terrier.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back