Aggressive dangerous dog in my neighborhood.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hello again! How have things been? I hope nothing bad has happened and that the dogs have either left your neighbourhood or they have been tied up.

Hello again! How have things been? I hope nothing bad has happened and that the dogs have either left your neighbourhood or they have been tied up.
The dog is gone, so I can only think of why, but not sure. I think the owners don't want the attention so they got rid of it. At least I have yet to lay eyes on it for a few weeks now. They know because I have told them that if I catch the dog on my property again, I was calling the Sheriff out to investigate them. It is possible they are illegally here in the states, but not for sure.

The dog is gone, so I can only think of why, but not sure. I think the owners don't want the attention so they got rid of it. At least I have yet to lay eyes on it for a few weeks now. They know because I have told them that if I catch the dog on my property again, I was calling the Sheriff out to investigate them. It is possible they are illegally here in the states, but not for sure.
Ah right. I hope nothing else bad happens to them.

Also are you still going to add the security cameras? Even though it might take a while to get them, they are definitely worth it. There are a lot of reasons why they are helpful but I won't list them as I feel like it has already been said in this thread.

Also are you still going to add the security cameras? Even though it might take a while to get them, they are definitely worth it. There are a lot of reasons why they are helpful but I won't list them as I feel like it has already been said in this thread.
Thank you for your reply, I want the cameras but like I said I can't afford them right now. I hope to pick up some work this year to make the money I need to do a lot of things around the house, including the cameras.

I would buy a stun gun if I were you, although you don't often get to use one, especially if the dog jumps at you, runs away, pulls away and you're restrained by fear. We have a teeth cleaning rubber dog bone toy that helps distract a frantic dog for at least a few minutes. We used to use clappers, but it's expensive. Now we throw the toy and have time to go inside the house. Then we pick it up from the street, and when we have to go to work, we throw it through the car window. It's a burden on life, but better than courts and arguments with neighbours. By the way, our neighbour thinks that we are disturbing his dog by living there... he has to bite us to protect himself... facepalm

Last edited:
I its been awhile since I posted. Although I called Animal Control and was told they don't work out in my area, I was advised to call the Sheriff. A Sheriff's Deputy talked to me saying there are no lease laws are any other kinda of law he could act on. So I found I was on my own dealing with the people down the roads aggressive dog running wild. But it was all done and in a way that put an end to this dog's bad behavior at least dealing with me and mine.

Rosco my pit bull dog is just under two years old, and before the dog bulled him and Sadie my smaller dog. But this day Rosco had had enough. The aggressive dog charged across the road and attacked Rosco. Rosco didn't yell or cry, he took the blow and backed off. He then charged the larger dog knocking it off its feet. Rosco started tearing that dog up and Sadie my smaller dog hit him from a different direction. That dog screamed like crazy just wanting to get away, but Rosco had a grip behind its head and wasn't letting go. I had to step in and get Rosco off the dog, he let go when I told him to. That dog took off like a bullet and disappeared back to his yard.

You have to understand Rosco is not an aggressive dog, he was raised with loving care and he has a sweet personality. My neighbor who lives behind me has a large outside cat. I was standing there talking to him when Rosco went to investigate the cat. The cat's back bristled up and swatted Rosco on the nose. Rosco just backed away and let it go. I didn't tell him to do that.

I know you don't need this to be rubbed in - it's more for everybody else. Why would you EVER think of letting your own dogs outside in an non-enclosed area when you know there are other dogs nearby? That's just as bad as what your neighbors were doing. Here is what happened. The new people moved in and they let their dog roam. Sorry to be anti-Hispanic but that's the most common group of people that do this - especially if they are recently from their home country (like Mexico) where it's normal to let dogs room. I bet the dog that attacked is also an unneutered male dog (another common problem among the hispanic culture), Are any of your dogs unneutered? If not then get them fixed ASAP. So the first thing these dogs did when they moved in was establish their territory - which included peeing everywhere they could get to -they are not aware of property lines and obviously the neighbors don't care -you knew this just by observing their dog's behavior. What did you THINK was going to happen when you let your dogs outside into your front yard which is now the OTHER dog's territory? From the BIG dog's perspective your dog's were violating their territory and the little dog paid for it with his life because he was defending what he believed was HIS territory - which he had established long before the new dogs arrived. What should have happened that very night (or the next day) is that you should have driven to the police station with the poor little dead dog and dumped your dog on their desk and ask them what they are going to do about this? Tell them you are afraid to come out of your house if these dogs are on the roam. Also ask them that next time a young child comes into that area if they would like you to bring the child's dead body into the police station or are their plans in place to prevent this from ever happening? It is not safe to visit the neighbor, your vet is in idiot if he told you to "visit" them. In the meantime, if it's not too late, take pictures of your dear dog and write down all the relevant details date, time of day it happened pictures of both dogs showing them that they are off-leash and on your property. (MOST Rural County areas do have laws/ordences about stray animals because farmers get pissed off when a dog kills their chicken or steals the eggs or when a pack of dog kills a calf or piglet) My guess is that the police will pay them a visit but don't you dare risk being a victim of their dogs by visiting them. If their dogs are not contained within a week, then file a claim in small claims court and include the cost of your dog that was killed and any services you paid to have performed by the vet for treatment of your other dogs, creamation etc. It makes me furious that you didn't call the police THAT NIGHT. Your dogs also should never be allowed to go to an unenclosed area unless they are under leash control by you, that's just like what your neighbor did - and while most dogs will be respectful of your leadership or just be interested in meeting the other dogs and out-peeing each other - there are a certain percentage of dogs that are born or trained to be aggressive and when there is more than one dog, you have a pack - which can make them more likely to be aggressive. Your three dogs were ALSO a pack. From now on, when you take your other dogs outside with you to the unenclosed area I would carry either mace or a baseball bat with me. You are allowed to defend yourself and your property with force. What you shouldn"t do is set out some pieces of steak that you've poisoned for your neighbors dogs to eat (tempting, but tragically this whole mess isn't their fault either they were just behaving fairly normally) .

A civil society cannot permit wild vicious animal to run loose, it can't be allowed. What if it had been your grandchild that went outside to "meet" these dogs? Perhaps they would be fine, and probably the dogs would either back off from a human and wander home but should the child bother those dogs they could quite possibly turn on the child or even you.

I've easily broken up or helped break up at least a dozen dog fights at our local dog park. There is at least 1 "fight" or "skuffle" nearly every night but most are just tiny skuffles that sound horrible and no blood is shed. Once a Rott attacked a Mastiff male puppy (about 150lb of puppy). The female owner of the Rott just screamed while we told her to shut up because her energy was just escalating her own dog's behavior. The Rott had his teeth in the Mastif's neck. And I was beating on the Rott while trying to pull his teeth of the Mastif The Mastif was kind of scared but it didn't appear to hurt him (which was pretty funny actually - his skin kept stretching and stretching but the Rott had broken the skin and was doing some damage. The Mastiff's owner was yelling at the owner - so we all tell him to shut up. The whole idea is to get things back to calm or you'll have all the dogs in the park wanting to watch or participate. Finally a big guy jumped in and picked up the rear end of the Rott and was also beating on him really hard and the Rott finally let loose and was completely exhausted and just wanted a drink of water after that. It was so strange - all aggression just disappeared. I''ve known the Rott for a year or two and had never seen him a fight before but the owners said the behavior had just started. There were some very tiny points of blood on the Mastif who was just confused (he had just been laying down resting).

Then there was the night some guy had just adopted a pitt-bull mix from our local shelter (which means he had to be neutered) but for some reason none of us could figure out the dog decided to attack a young springer spaniel and killed it before anybody to get to them - the owner was just standing there in complete confusion, He'd never owned a dog before, and he didn't know what to do when the dog fight broke out (in the pitt's defense, the springer spaniel was a known fighter but it never went anything near that far until he messed with one wrong dog and he ended up paying the price. My beloved Basset Hound when she got older was TERRIBLE about getting into dog "skuffles" and fights if another dog was holding a toy (anything not a ball ) and she would decide she wanted it - she didn't like balls and didn't care about them. It ALWAYS was her fault. Luckily as horrific as her snarls sounded during the fight she never once broke the skin of another dog. She even attacked a puppy but didn't injure it. I could get her to back off from another dog but usually it was easier to get the OTHER dog to stop fighting, then my dog would stop and I'd give the toy to the other dog and they'd run off. If she did "win" the toy she just sniffed it and would then ignore it. She also started growling at any dog that came near me - and wouldn't leave my side while we were at the park. Some kind of dementia had obviously set in and we couldn't take her any more because regardless of us assuring others that she was harmless - it upset them and I didn't blame them. And everybody knew her, she won every Halloween dog costume contest and she loved all people and children but she sadly couldn't be trusted any more.

In any case MOST of the time the owner of the offending dog is very apologetic about his or her dog attacking yours and will customarily offer to pay for vet fees (if any) but MOST dog fights end up with nobody getting hurt - that what makes it so unusual and so dangerous that you have a dog living near you that has no problem with killing another dog. That why it has to be stopped unless you want another dog injured or killed or a small child even being hurt. Civilized dogs don't fight to that extreme - they have quickly learned the social norms that it's not OK to fight to kill or to attack another dog - the idea is to be "superior" to the other dog - and get them to back down, not to actually hurt it. You know also there are a number of people that intentionally train their dogs to fight - but they usually keep these dogs hidden away so nobody can report them if they see the scars on the dog or a lot of injuries so I doubt this big dog is a trained fighter.

I'm so sorry this happened to you I just think you need to handle this without getting involved directly with these neighbors and unfortunately, if they retaliate like breaking your windows or making threats notify the police each time and put a FOR SALE sign in your yard and move. If these people are as hostile or stupid as their dog you are going to be miserable or afraid of them. I'm sort of in a similar situation but not nearly as serious - I could see how it could escalate. - my neighbor lives in a two bedroom duplex and she is renting but from a different landlord than I am so duplex she is in isn't nearly as nice as any of the others on our cul de sac. My dad used to own the townhome I'm living in and had always said that his wife would file a Quitclaim deed that signed the property over to me after he passed away because she didn't want the hassle of renters and was planning on moving to where her children are. So this townhouse is fixed up quite nice and is bigger. But my evil stepmother just sold them to a friend of hers when she left and denied that my dad left them to me - so it all started off with her screwing me around but since then I've had a couple of run in's with my neighbors about their dog that they kept on a chain in their front yard with no cover and he would usually turn over his water so he would be without water too. Well I had heard the other neighbors say they were going to report her. They just recently changed our dog ordinance on how long you can cable a dog from 1 hour down to 15 minutes! She, of course, was doing it all day. So I printed off the new ordinance and went over to her house (I'm on oxygen so I'm pretty fragile too) and told her that she probably was going to get reported if she didn't keep her dog inside the house or inside a fence so I wanted her to know it was coming and I wasn't going to be the person to report her - I just wanted to save her quite a fine, I also offered the use of my backyard (my Basset has passed away) as long as she or her kids picked up the poop and as long as they left water out for their dog I wouldn't mind - which I thought was pretty nice of me. Well the idiot didn't keep her dog inside and animal control came out the next day and probably either gave her a warning or a $100 fine (after the 3rd time the fine is like $1500 and your dog is removed from your possession) . Then about a week later her youngest daughter came over with a bag of dry dog food and a bowl of water and the dog and ask if she could put the dog in my backyard - I was like sure for a couple of hours -- how long is she talking about and the little girl said she didn't know, Next thing I know they all LEAVE for a WEEK - without nearly enough dogfood and of course I had to fill his water dish. When they came back the little girl came back to get their dog. I said take all the food I had to buy some extra for your dog because it wasn't nearly enough for a week. The little girl just smiled and took their stuff and then came back and picked up all the dog poop and I've never heard from them again about the dog. I think I was just USED as a pet boarding service and they blamed me for them getting reported, Then on the 4th of July my son-in-law told me that the day before my car had been covered with firecracker debris and other trash. So he stopped and got out of his car and took a bunch of photos of my car and their house. By morning he came by to pick up any mess and take my garbage to the curb for trash pickup day. But he said that somebody had cleaned off and picked up the trash on the car and driveway swept up. I don't have a window on that side of the house that I can easily see my car from - so if he hadn't told me I would never have known, The "mom" is still polite to me and says hi to me. She has her 2 youngest children (one is 3 the other about 10) and she has 3 older sons that live in the unfinished basement (sometimes just 2), and her neice that lives in the house once in a while and once left me a nasty note that said I backed out of my driveway and damaged their shrubs and how "old Mrs Morris"(the land lady I assume) is in the hospital right now and would be so upset at me if she know I hurt her shrubs.and she herself will call the police on me. I did actually drive into their shrubs during the winter once before my driveway had been snow plowed. I couldn't see where the side of the driveway actually was. And their "shrubs" would be lovely lilac bushes if they were properly pruned but they fall over onto my landlord's property by at least 3 feet. I can't back up straight to save my life, especially when the driveway is sort of strangely V-shaped and I can't see where the "V" is.. My dad had the garage built but had to strictly follow property lines but make the driveway wide enough for a car to back out of - I have never successfully mastered the trick. I can't wait for her to turn me in and then find out that they are the ones in violation! Actually I just want them to move out, At least they rarely leave their dog outside any more (heat index has been about 110) or I would call animal control on them. I'm sick of these games they are playing with me. I don't need the extra stress either!

I wish all the best for you and your other dogs, please supervise them like you'd supervise a small child when your neighbor's dogs are out.

All my pets are neutered. Except for my two kittens which have a date with the vet to do that as soon as they are of age.

ok
i know this topic is ,like, over, but i just want to say something Note: animals only attack for a reason, and preditor animals don't relize when there being triggerd.
The dogs sound like great danes, Pitbulls, or rotwillers I inserted a list of large dog breeds), which are all only agressive bc of there owners and were origanily bred for Garding and fightning. Its not the dogs falt. Report the owners, not the dogs. call a rescue shelter, not animal partol which will make them (probably) end up in a High-kill shelter. With nice people (who do take doimance over the dog) the dogs will be nicer and hopefully go to a nice home, which i think anyone (exept the owners) would want :)
i edited this after reading some more and disiding my original commet would likely come out as harsh :)

Helpful articals:
dominace aggression: https://www.petplace.com/article/do...cterized by,to your dog's aggressive behavior.

Owner agrression:https://news.orvis.com/dogs/dog-agg...n certainly be,a dog is abnormally aggressive.

how to stop dog attacks: https://pethelpful.com/dogs/protecting-your-dog

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Before I moved to Yorkshire, and was younger & more mobile, I worked with the shelters and police in assessment & rehabilitation of alleged "dangerous" dogs.

In the space of 15 years or so I was called out on an almost daily basis to assess dogs for court on biter cases, assess dogs brought in as strays that showed aggression, abused dogs/puppies and untrained "owner status symbol" dogs that had gone rogue.

The maybe surprising thing is that the only dog that had ever bitten me in all those years was a Golden Retriever.

I will tell you now...there truly is no such thing as a bad dog. Owners and breeders and "trainers" are at fault 99% of the time. That 1%, well sadly that is attributable to genetic and other medical issues.

The dogs that I was called to see included Akitas, Rotties, Dobies, Mastiffs, Pits, Staffies, GSDs, BSDs, Pressa Canario, a variety of different Heinz 57's and that one very angry Goldie.

Part of my job was to help decide if a dog should be euthanised after a biter incident.

One such dog was an intact GSD. He was 5 years old when I met him the first time. He had been in several different homes, untrained and generally a big bully cos he had been allowed to become one. He had snapped but not actually bitten a child and was about to go on the death list. I had a friend who used to help me with the dogs and she was going to take the GSD to her home to do an initial assessment.

So off we went to the home of this dog, spoke at length to the owner about the dog...how long had they owned him, was he housetrained, trained to the leash etc. Then I asked about the alleged snapping incident.

"My 10 year old son took his food bowl away when he was eating and the dog just went crazy for no reason"

And that was the trigger.

Every shelter that rehomes dogs always does the food guarding test for this reason cos so many owners and/or their children take the food away from their otherwise docile mutt and the mutt gets understandably upset.

Long story short I kept that GSD as my own dog, he was a soft as butter but absolutely terrified of his own shadow. He lived with me for two years before I had him euthanised. It was an incredibly tough decision to have him put down but at least one of his prior owners (he had 4 owners in 4 years before I got him) had abused him severely. His x-rays showed multiple healed broken bones, he had been beaten to within an inch of his life and arthritis was causing him great pain, so I had him put down cos it simply was unfair to keep him suffering.

Basically a shelter or the police do not have time to do one-to-one work with dogs with issues like behaviour or aggression, so they get destroyed. I used to take them on, assess them over several months, work with them, find their triggers and deal with those triggers. There is a percentage of humans that do not deserve dogs (or any animal).

I was told by a judge in a biter case that he had followed my work for many years and he considered that I had about a 95% success rate in turning dogs around. The 5% were just too badly damaged mentally and/or physically and it was kinder to have them euthanised.

There are no naturally bad dogs.....every dog deserves a chance. It takes months to break the cycle and find the triggers for a dog's bad behaviour. If you have the time and the patience it is very rewarding to see a dog that came to you as an angry thug go to a new home as a relaxed, happy and affectionate pet. I would also oversee the rehoming of the dogs to make sure they only went to experienced homes and I drew up documentation with the triggers outlined and body language to watch for and the new owners could contact me 24/7 if they had any issues and no-one ever contacted me in all those years to tell me that a dog had reverted back to its old ways.

A vicious pit bull got out of control and dashed into my yard and attacked my then 14 year old dog. The owner was unable to do anything. He went trying to kick his own dog to stop it, which only made things worse.

He was told to move aside... and a gun was retrieved from a nearby vehicle and as soon as a steady aim could be obtained between the fighting dogs, his dog was fatally shot. We were not about to further risk our dogs life by trying to manually stop this assault. Check YouTube, generally manual attempts at stopping enraged fighting grade pit bulls is useless.

The attacker was still was able to rip my dogs mouth open and everything. He couldn't eat properly for weeks. This type of thing should not be acceptable. Had the attack been brought to authorities, the dog would have been euthanized anyway and HE would have been fined. He completely understood the situation and apologized for the injuries inflicted on my dog.

Vicious animals should not be kept as pets PERIOD and if they are, they should NEVER be allowed to get out of control. They kill people and other animals when it happens.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back