Aggressive Balloon Mollies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Loeanne

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with aggressive male mollies in our tank. To cut a lot by story short, we started with 2 mollies and now have 12 females and 8 males. So they've been upgraded to a 240L tank.

Everyone is in the same tank, with a divider to separate them. The males are aware that females are there, so I do wonder if that could be causing it. I've considered making another divider to increase the gap between them. Most of the male mollies go for the biggest one, particularly at feeding time. I'd put it down to the tank size previously but their behaviour hasn't changed with the upgrade sadly. He is also their only target (there is a swordtail and neon tetras). I've included a gif clip

Attachments

• ezgif.com-video-to-gif (1).gif
    ezgif.com-video-to-gif (1).gif
    12.5 MB · Views: 86
Do you think it would help to add an additional divider? Or will they still know the girls are there?
The fish release chemicals and hormones into the water so they will still know they are there

You may want to consider getting another tank to house either the males or females in so they are completely separated, especially if the aggression is getting really bad. :(

Do you think it would help to add an additional divider? Or will they still know the girls are there?
It is recommended to have 3 females for every male. I don't suggest adding a divider.

Thank you all for your help and feedback. Unfortunately another tank isn't an option at the moment, we just don't have the space. Once lockdown has eased more here I'll see about giving some of the males to friends to try and balance things! Or get another smaller tank for a few of the boys..

Most reactions

trending

Back